How to make Garam Masala
- Mutton or Beef – 1 1/2 kgs cut in large piece
- Chicken or mutton stock 1 cup
- Basmati rice 2 1/2 cups
- Onions 2 diced
- Garam masala - 1 tsp
- Cumin powder – ½ tbsp
- Saffron – ½ tsp
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Sugar 1 tblsp
- Oil - 3 tblsp
- Water 4 -5 cups
- Pistachios and almonds blanched 1 cup
- Raisins 1 cup
- Carrot 2 sliced thin
- 1 tblsp oil additional
- Soak the rice in water and keep aside.
- In a large saucepan fry the onions until golden brown. Add in the meat, saffron, garam masala, salt and fry the meat until seared. Keep cooking the meat until the sides start to leave oil, almost 20 minutes.
- Add in the water and cook the meat until tender. Keep adding more water if required.
- While the meat is cooking, heat oil in a pan and saute the carrots with a bit of sugar until soft. Keep aside. Repeat with the raisins, almonds and pistachios. Drain and keep aside.
- Once the meat is cooked, remove the meat from the pan. Add the rice to the stock and add salt and the additional meat broth. Cook until the rice is tender. This will take about 15 minutes.
- Transfer onto an oven proof dish. Add the meat to it and top it with the dried fruits and nuts and the carrots. Bake for 10 minutes at 200 degree centigrade.
- Serve with salad and chutney