How To Make Chicken Empanadas
A great Mexican snack that tastes wonderfully yummy and is easy to make too.
- Prep Time50mins
- Cook Time35mins
Ingredients to make Chicken Empanadas
- For the shredded chicken:
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 to 2 green chillies
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 Bay Leaves
- Seasonings : Mix all and add as per taste
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp basil (Dried)
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- For the dough:
- 2 cups flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg, separated
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp melted butter
Steps to make Chicken Empanadas
- Combine all ingredients for the chicken in a large pan and let it cook till the chicken begins to shred when pulled by the fork. Add in the seasoning. Drain excess liquid and keep the chicken aside to cool.
- Whisk together flour, salt, and sugar until evenly blended. Make a well in the center of the mixture and add in whisked egg yolk - water mixture. Make a stiff dough.
- Knead again till the dough becomes soft. Roll out using a rolling pin and spread melted butter. Roll up and cut into 1.5 inch thickness.
- Again roll slightly and add in the shredded and seasoned chicken. Apply water to seal the edges by pinching and brush with egg white.
- Bake at 180 degree centigrade until golden brown this takes about 30 minutes. Alternatively you can fry them until golden brown which takes about 6 to 7 minutes.
- Serve hot with fresh green chilli chutney.
My Tip: You can season the chicken with your choice of Masalas.