Bharwan Nariyal Karela
Bharwan nariyal karela or stuffed bitter gourd with coconut is simple yet extremely rich and delicious dish. I have to give the credit for this recipe to my husband who prepared this with the last few ingredients which were there in our pantry during the flood hit days.
- Prep Time30Minutes
- Cooking Time20Minutes
- 250 gms Karela/Bitter gourd
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp oil
- For Nariyal/Coconut Masala:
- 1 cup scraped fresh coconut
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp jeera
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 5 to 6 kashmiri red chillis (You can use any other variety red chillis)
- Cut the karela into 2” or 3” pieces and boil in salt and tumeric water until tender. Drain the water and let the karela pieces cool down. Scrape out the seeds (if you don’t like!!)
- To prepare the nariyal masala; grind coconut, garlic, jeera, mustard seeds and red chillies to paste.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a kadai and cook the nariyal masala for 4 to 5 minutes and let it cool down slightly.
- Stuff the karela with the masala.
- Heat 1 tsp of oil and tip in the stuffed karela and left over masala and little water and cook over medium flame for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve hot with rotis or rice.