How To Make Kahwa Chai(Kashmiri tea)
A cup of Kahwa in winters or in the rainy season is something to die for.The tea is available in most tea stores,especially the ones which exclusively sell multiple varieties of tea.It can be got as both loose tea as well as tea bags.Both versions are as good.You can also buy Kahwa online on various shopping sites which have a specialized food section.Its made in two ways:- 1.Without Milk 2.With Milk The ingredients for both versions are the same except where in the milk version we add one or two extra ingredients to give the tea depth,flavor,taste and color.Here I am showcasing both the methods.People who are lactose intolerant or do not like milk in their tea can use the no milk version and for the people who like milk in their tea can go for the milk version.Both the versions taste delicious and will actually refresh and revitalize you. Sugar or artificial sweeteners can be used in the tea but remember to add a little more than usual as this tea has a royal taste and garnished with nuts!
- Prep Time5mins
- Cook Time15mins
Ingredients to make Kahwa Chai(Kashmiri tea)
- 2 cups Milk
- 2 cups cold water
- 1 glass normal water
- A pinch of salt
- 7-8 strands Saffron(Kesar)
- 2 tbsp Kahwa Tea/2 tea bags Kahwa Tea
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda/Soda bicarb
- 1 star anise
- 3-4 Green Cardamoms
- 1 Stick Cinnamon
- 10-12 Almonds – chopped finely
- 10-12 Pistachios – chopped finely
Steps to make Kahwa Chai(Kashmiri tea)
- Pour the cold water in a saucepan and add the tea/tea bags,salt,baking soda and the spices(cardamoms,cinnamon,star anise and Saffron).
- After the water comes to a boil, cover the pan and boil for 30 minutes on medium low till the water reduces to approx 1 cup and becomes saturated.Now add the separate 1 glass of normal water.
- Now start frothing the liquid.For that pour the liquid from the saucepan to a jug or any other container.Repeat this process 15-20 times till the liquid turns frothy.
- Keep it back on heat and add the milk and sugar.When it starts boiling, cover the pan and boil on medium low again for 5-10 minutes.
- Strain into individual cups and garnish with the chopped nuts.Serve hot.