Zero Oil Malvani Chole
How to make Coconut Milk
- 250 gms Chickpeas
- 1/2 cup Coconut Milk
- Salt as needed
- Tamarind (amla size) (or 4 - 5 kokum petals
- 1 Onion
- 1/2 cup fresh Grated Coconut
- 6 - 7 Dry Red Chillis
- 1 tbsp Kashmiri Red chilli Powder (for color)
- 1 tbsp Coriander Seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper corn
- 1 inch piece Ginger
- 4 - 5 Garlic Cloves
- Soak the chickpeas overnight, and then pressure cook them for 2 - 3 whistles until they are soft.
- Grind together the last 9 ingredients in the list to a smooth paste adding little water.
- Cook this paste for 10 minutes, with stirring in between, until raw smell fades.
- Add the coconut milk and the tamarind extract and mix well.
- When the gravy comes to a boil, add the boiled chickpeas, adjust salt and water, close and cook for 10 minutes on low - med flame.
- Turn off stove.
My Tip: I have used both coconut and coconut milk. As fresh coconut gives a nice taste and the coconut milk makes the gravy creamier. Feel free to add some boiled potatoes to the gravy along with the chickpeas.