How To Make Palak Paneer !
A healthy Protein & Iron Combo, Soft Paneer in a creamy and luscious green Spinach gravy.
- Prep Time10mins
- Cook Time30mins
Key ingredients for Palak Paneer !
How to make Garam Masala
Ingredients to make Palak Paneer !
- 2 bunches Spinach
- 350 grams Paneer (Cottage Cheese)
- 1 medium Onion (finely chopped)
- 2 Tomatoes (Pureed)
- 2 Green chillis
- 1 - 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 2 -3 Cloves
- A pinch of asafoedita
- 1 tbsp Ginger garlic paste
- Salt as needed
- 1 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- 1 tsp Garam masala
- 3/4 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Crushed Kasuri Methi (Dried Fenugreek)
- 2 tbsp Fresh Cream (Optional)
Steps to make Palak Paneer !
- Separate the spinach leaves from the stalk and wash them well. Boil some water and blanch this spinach in it for 2 - 3 minutes and just when it startes shrinking turn off stove. Drain and reserve the water for later use.
- Cool the spinach and puree it with Green chillis.
- Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds, hing and cloves, followed by onion and GG paste. Saute them well
- Once the onion is soft and sauted well, add the spice powders (except garam masala) and salt and fry well. Sprinkle some water if they are getting dry n burnt.
- When masala is cooked well, add tomato puree and allow the tomato to cook well till raw smell fades and oil starts separating. Then add some water and bring to boil.
- Add the spinach puree, sugar and mix well. Allow to cook for a minute or two and then sprinkle some garam masala n give a mix.
- Meanwhile. when doing above steps, you should soak the paneer cubes in warm water for 5 - 10 minutes. Add the paneer cubes to the spinach gravy, and adjust water (use the spinach blanched water)
- Cook in low flame for 2-3 minutes and then crush some kasuri methi and add to gravy. Finish with cream, mix well and turn off stove.
My Tip: Take care not to overcook the spinach else, the gravy would be dark green to black in color and you will lose the nutrients as well. Instead of soaking paneer in warm water, you can also shallow fry in few drops of oil before adding to gravy. Adding cream is optional, but it does enhances the taste and also brings in a creamy consistency. You can also add some milk before adding cream or just milk instead of cream. Make it No onion No garlic recipe too skipping onions and GG paste. You can get an idea how to make this by referring this Aloo Palak recipe here Adding sugar balances the acidity from tomatoes, and also helps in maintaining the fresh green color of palak.