How To Make Cuban Roast Chicken with Spinach & Cherry Tomato Salad
A Cuban-style mojo marinade makes for the most delicious and succulent Whole Roast Chicken!
- Prep Time20mins
- Cook Time60mins
Ingredients to make Cuban Roast Chicken with Spinach & Cherry Tomato Salad
- 1 Chicken, about 2 kg
- 1 Orange, zest and juice
- 1 large Lime, zest and juice
- 8 Garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon dark Soya Sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- 1 large Onion, cut into thick rings
- 10 Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 cup Spinach leaves, washed
- 1 teaspoon chopped Red Onion
- 1 teaspoon Lemon juice
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Steps to make Cuban Roast Chicken with Spinach & Cherry Tomato Salad
- Add zest and juice from a lime and orange (should be at least a 1/2 cup in total) and garlic to a blender. Then add oil, salt, pepper, soya sauce and cumin. Blend it well together.
- Rinse and truss the chicken and place it in a large ziplock bag, with the marinade, turning to coat all the nooks and crannies. Let it sit at room temperature for one hour, turning it occasionally.
- In a large roasting pan, place the onion rings in a single layer.
- Remove chicken from marinade and set it aside on a plate or on parchment paper. Pour all the remaining marinade into the roasting pan.
- Place the trussed chicken breast side down in the pan. Put this dish on the lower rack of the oven and bake it at 220 degrees C for 20 minutes.
- Turn the chicken over, reduce the heat to 200 degrees C and continue to roast until the inner thigh reaches 74 C, this could take about 35-45 minutes more.
- Let it rest for 10 minutes before carving.
- To make the salad, halve the cherry tomatoes. In a large bowl, toss the cherry tomatoes with spinach leaves, chopped onion, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately with the drippings and a fresh salad.
My Tip: You can marinate the chicken for up to 24 hours in the refrigerator.