Spaghetti with Nutty Avocado Mint Pesto
This pasta dish is an absolute dream. It is easy to put together and delicious. The creamy avocado pesto is filled with strong flavors of mint and there was also the zing from the lemon juice. The cashew meal added a mild sweet taste to the pesto. This dish is super simple to make and without a doubt, add a healthy boost to your plate.
- Prep Time25Minutes
- Cooking Time10Minutes
How To Make Pasta Dough
How to make Pesto
- Spaghetti - 200gms
- Salt - 1/2 tsp+1tsp
- Olive oil - 1tsp+3tbsp
- Onion - 1, chopped fine
- Garlic - 2 pods, peeled and finely chopped
- Avocado - 1 large, halved, stoned and flesh scooped out
- Juice of half a lemon
- Mint leaves- a hand full
- Freshly ground black pepper powder - 1/2tsp
- Powdered cashewnuts - 1-1/2tbsp
- Chili flakes - 1/2tsp (optional)
- Pepitas - 1 tbsp, toasted and cooled.
- Cook the spaghetti along with 1/2tsp of salt and a tsp of olive oil in enough water. Drain and reserve half cup of the stock and set aside.
- To make the pesto, heat olive oil in a pan and add the chopped onion and garlic and sauté till they turn brown and tender and keep aside.
- Combine the avocado flesh along with the lemon juice, mint leaves, cashew meal, pepper powder, salt and the sautéed onion and garlic in blender jar or a mortar and pestle and grind till smooth.
- Pour the prepared pesto over the cooked spaghetti and toss well. Add the chili flakes and pasta water only if required and mix well.
- Garnish with toasted pepitas and serve immediately.
My Tip: To make the cashew meal, toast about 8-10 cashew nuts in pan. Cool completely and grind in a blender to a slightly coarse powder. Store in airtight container till further use. My preparation time was slightly longer because I ground the pesto in a mortar and pestle. It will not take you more than 10mins if you make the pesto in a blender.