How To Make Gil-e-Firdaus
A sweet and chilled dessert like this is must when you are having elaborate spicy food.
- Prep Time15mins
- Cook Time30mins
Key ingredients for Gil-e-Firdaus
How to make Ghee
Ingredients to make Gil-e-Firdaus
- ½ lit. Milk
- ½ cup grated Bottle gourd
- 2 tbsp. Sago/Sabudana
- ¼ cup Basmati Rice
- 2 tbsp. Almond paste, Check ‘Notes’
- ¼ tbsp. Cardamom powder
- A few strands Saffron
- ½ tbsp. Green food color
- 1 tbsp. Vanilla essence
- ½ can Condensed Milk
- ½ tbsp. Silvered Almonds
- 2 tbsp. Ghee
- 1½ cups Water
- 1 Silver Varq/leaf
Steps to make Gil-e-Firdaus
- Wash and soak sago for 1 hour.
- Wash basmati rice with clean water and pat to dry. Spread rice clean muslin cloth for 30-40 minutes under fan. Grind to coarse paste.
- In a heavy bottom cooking vessel, add ghee and fry slivered almonds. Once they turn light golden using a slotted spoon remove the almonds on to kitchen tissue and set aside.
- In the same ghee add grated bottle gourd and on medium flame fry for 2-3 minutes by turning up and down.
- Now add half of milk and 1½ cups of water to bottle gourd. Cook until bottle gourd is soft.
- In another thick bottom vessel add remaining milk and cook coarsely ground rice along with sago till done. Take care not to burn this mixture.
- Now add condensed milk, cardamom powder, almond paste, vanilla essence and give the mixture good stir. Add above boiled milk and bottle gourd mixture. Stir gently.
- Cook on low flame and stir until everything combines together. Now add green food color and stir.
- Cook till you get kheer consistency. If the mixture is getting too thick, then you can add ½ cup milk.
- Garnish with golden fried slivered almonds and edible silver leaf. Taste best when served chilled.
My Tip: ALMOND PASTE: Soak 10-12 almonds in lukewarm water for one hour and gently peel the skin off. Add these to coffee grinder and grind to smooth paste by adding 1-2 tbsp. of water/milk.