How To Make Qubani ka Meetha - Royal Hyderabadi Delicacy
Qubani ka Meetha/Khubani ka Meetha/Apricot Pudding/Stewed Apricot Dessert/Apricot Compote/Thick Apricot Sauce - Call it by any name...this tangy, sweet and yummy dessert is star of any dinner table. Warm quabi syrup poured over chilled thick vanilla custard or vanilla ice cream taste droolicious....
- Prep Time15mins
- Cook Time30mins
Ingredients to make Qubani ka Meetha - Royal Hyderabadi Delicacy
- 200 gms. Dried Apricots
- 1½ cups Sugar, adjust as per your taste
- ½ tbsp. Saffron strands
Steps to make Qubani ka Meetha - Royal Hyderabadi Delicacy
- Wash and soak dried apricots overnight in enough water. The ratio of dried apricots and water should be 1:3.
- By morning these dried apricots will puff into smooth balls. Transfer the contents to pressure cooker and pressure cook for 2-3 whistles or until soft.
- When the dried apricots turn soft (you can check softness by pressing the dried apricots in between your fingers, the seed will come out easily) using a sieve separate water and cooked dried apricots.
- Reserve the water. Keeping the dried apricots in the sieve, using backside of a large spoon, gently mash the cooked dried apricots into the reserved water.
- Mash till you remain with seeds. Now add seeds to warm water and set aside for 5-10 minutes. Rinse and pat dry. Break open the seeds using a pestle or nut cracker to remove kernels. Cut into half and serve on top as garnish.
- Meanwhile add sugar to the collected puree and transfer it on stovetop. Cook until you get thick sauce consistency. Add saffron strands and mix gently. Turn off the flame and leave to cool.
- To Make Thick Vanilla Custard :
- Prepare custard as per the instructions on the packet. Make it little thick, the consistency should be like pudding.
- Serving Suggestions:
- You can serve this with plain vanilla custard or thick cream or whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. I usually serve this with plain chilled thick vanilla custard or butterscotch ice cream.
- Just cut a slab of ice cream or scoop 1-2 scoops of ice cream in a serving bowl and pour in thick apricot sauce which we made above and garnish with chopped apricot kernels and pistachio. Serve immediately.