How to make Idli/Dosa Batter
- 1 cup urad dal (spilt black gram)
- 2 cups dahi (curds)
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp chaat masala
- 1 green chilli
- 2 - 3 tbsp sugar
- Salt to taste
- Soak the urad dal in water for 3 hours. Drain the water and grind to a paste with green chilli and a little water. (The consistency should be of idli batter.)
- Add salt and beat with the beater for 5 minutes.
- Deep fry teaspoonfuls of batter till they turn golden brown to make the dumplings. Then drain and immediately immerse them in warm water.
- In a bowl beat the curd, salt and sugar together till the sugar melts.
- Take dumplings out of the water and squeeze out the excess water.
- Arrange on a serving dish. Pour the beaten curd on top, then sprinkle the red chilli powder and chaat masala on top.
- Serve it chilled.
My Tip: Beating the batter well is important to make the dumplings light and fluffy.