Spinach Ravioli in Tomato Basil Sauce
- For the stuffing:
- 500 gms Spinach
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 100 gms grated cheese
- ½ teaspoon chopped fresh basil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder
- For the Ravioli:
- 200 gms whole-wheat flour
- 2 Eggs
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Tomato Sauce as required
- 4 Tomatoes
- 2 Onions
- 6 Cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Grated cheese
- For spinach stuffing: Put spinach leaves in boiling water for 1 minute. Refresh in cold water. Squeeze out the extra water and chop fine. Heat the olive oil in a pan and saute the chopped spinach. Add the remaining ingredients, mix well.
- For the ravioli: Mix all the ingredients together to form a stiff dough. Do not add water at all. If the dough seems too tight, wet your hands and knead again. Cling wrap and set the dough aside for 10 minutes.
- Roll out the dough into a long rectangular piece. Fold and roll again. Repeat the process thrice. Cut into six 2-inch wide strips.
- Place a spoonful of the stuffing at equal distances along half the strips. Moisten the strips between the filling. Place the reserved strips on top of the ones with the filling.
- Press down lightly around the filling to seal well. Cut into squares with the filling in the center.
- Bring a large pan of water to a boil with 1 tsp salt. Add the ravioli and cook for a few minutes till almost done taking care not to overcook. Drain and refresh in cold water.
- For the Red/Tomato Sauce: Dry-roast the garlic in a pan till golden in color. Chop the tomato roughly. In a pan, cook the tomato and onion and then add 1.5 cup water for 15 minutes, covered. Remove from heat and leave to cool.
- Puree it in a blender. Return the puree to the pan and add the salt, pepper, paprika and the garlic. Bring to a boil and let it become a little thick. Stir in the cream and remove from heat.
- To serve, pour the sauce into individual soup plates. Place a few ravioli on top and garnish with grated cheese and basil.