Red Velvet Cake
Red Velvet Cake is a cake with either a dark red, bright red or red-brown color. It is traditionally prepared as a layer cake topped with cream cheese or icing. Common ingredients include buttermilk, butter, cocoa, and flour for the cake, beetroot or red food coloring for the color.
- Prep Time15Minutes
- Cooking Time40Minutes
- 2 ½ cups All-Purpose flour/Cake Flour
- 2 cups Powdered Sugar
- 3 tbsp Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Flex Seeds Powder
- 1 ½ cups Butter Milk
- ½ cup Vegetable Oil
- 2 tbsp Melted butter
- 3 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 tbsp White Vinegar
- ½ tsp Powdered Red Food Color or 1 tbsp Liquid Red Color
- Oil + flour for Greasing and Dusting
- For Cream Frosting:
- 250g full-fat Cream Cheese
- ¼ cup Unsalted Melted Butter
- 2 cups Powder Sugar
- 2 tbsp Cream or Milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- Other ingredients • ¼ cup Pomegranate and some Raspberry for Garnishing
- For Red Velvet Cake: Preheat an oven on 350F/180C Sieve the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder, salt and sugar into the mixing bowl.
- Add flex seeds powder, oil, melted butter and mix it well, now add little by little butter milk into the mixture, mix it well and make smooth batter without lumps.
- Add vanilla extract, red food color, vinegar and mix it well for 3-4 minutes. Now take 2 baking trays (used 6 inch baking trays) and grease it with oil and dust it with flour.
- Pour equal quantity of the batter in both greased tray and bake it for 30-32 minutes or till done.
- While baking after 30-32 minutes check the cake by inserting the toothpick, if toothpick comes out clean means your cake is properly baked, if not then bake it again for 4-5 minutes and check it.
- Once done let it be cool down for 3-4 minutes, then remove it on the cooling rack and allow it cool down completely.
- For Cream cheese frosting: In another mixing bowl, add cream cheese (soften in room temperatures), melted butter and mix it well for 3-4 minutes till foamy and soft.
- Add powder sugar, vanilla extract, milk or cream and mix it well, stir it for 3-4 minutes, make soft and foamy frosting.
- Assembling, Frosting and Garnishing: Remove the thin slice top of the both cake using sharp knife and make flat surface. Now take one cake, evenly spread the frosting over the cake surface and sprinkle some pomegranate.
- Then place the second cake on it, again spread the frosting over the cake surface, sprinkle some pomegranate and Raspberries as per your choice.
- Red Velvet cake with cream frosting is ready. Refrigerate it for 15-20 minutes for chilling, then serve it.
My Tip: • Adjust food color as per your choice because there are so many different brands available in market. • Use full fat butter milk for best results. • You can garnish it with dry fruits instead of fresh fruits. • Use room temperature ingredients for easily mixing and it will make work easy. • You can use beetroot juice for natural red color, just grate the beetroot, squeeze it and make juice.