How To Make Steamed veg and paneer momos
An authentic, simple and delicious dish from the north east region of India.
- Prep Time40mins
- Cook Time15mins
Key ingredients for Steamed veg and paneer momos
How to make Idli/Dosa Batter
Ingredients to make Steamed veg and paneer momos
- For the stuffing:
- 1/2 cup grated and squeezed cabbage
- 1/2 cup paneer, grated or crumbled
- 1/4 cup bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 Medium Onion, Finely Chopped
- 5 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 inch ginger, grated
- Green chillies as per taste
- Salt to taste
- For the red chutney:
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 green chilli
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp mustard oil
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
- For the dough:
- 1 cup maida
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp oil
- Warm water to knead
Steps to make Steamed veg and paneer momos
- To prepare the dough, combine the maida, salt and oil together, using a little water at a time bind them together to form a soft dough. Keep it covered with a wet cloth and let it rest till further use.
- To prepare the stuffing, mix together all the listed ingredients and keep aside.
- To shape the momos, divide the dough into 14 equal sizes. Take one part, give it a round shape using your hands and roll it using a rolling pin as thin as possible. (Just like the way you make rotis).
- Fill some stuffing in the center of the circle, lift both the sides and seal them together as shown in the picture. Keep aside and cover with a wet cloth. Follow the same steps for all the 13 portions.
- Once done, steam these momos in the momo stand or idli stand for 15 minutes in a medium flame.
- To make the chutney, take some water in a pressure cooker. Add the tomatoes, garlic and chillies and pressure cook it for 1 whistle. Turn off the flame after 1 whistle and let the pressure release on its own.
- Once the pressure releases, take out the tomatoes, garlic and chillies and let it cool. After they are cooled, blend it in a mixer to a smooth paste without adding any water. Then take it out in a bowl, add salt, mustard oil and coriander leaves. Mix and serve.
- Serve the momos hot immediately with the chutney.
My Tip: * Don't skip using coriander leaves in both the chutney and stuffing. It enhances the taste. * Increase the spice level as per your taste by adding more chillies to both the chutney and stuffing. This recipe has normal spice.