How To Make Pav bhaji
Pav bhaji is nothing but a mish mash of vegetables that is simmered in onion and tomato sauce and spiked with a wide variety of spices. To me, the Pav bhaji is much much more than just a snack or a fast food. It is a quick meal that can be made in a hurry or that can be grabbed on the go. This is a perfect combo meal of butter toasted rolls and a vegetable gravy which again has oodles of butter.
- Prep Time20mins
- Cook Time25mins
Key ingredients for Pav bhaji
Ingredients to make Pav bhaji
- For the bhaji-
- Butter- 3tbsp
- Onion- 1 large, finely chopped
- Ginger- garlic paste- 1tsp
- Potatoes- 2 large, peeled and cubed
- Carrot- 1, large, peeled and cubed
- French beans- 10, chopped
- Cauliflower- about 12-15 florets
- Peas- 1/2 cup
- Bell pepper- 1 small, finely chopped
- Tomato- 3, 1 finely chopped and two pureed
- Salt- to taste
- Sugar- 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric- 1/4tsp
- Paprika powder- 1tsp
- Pav bhaji masala- 1tbsp
- Black salt- 1/2tsp
- Coriander leaves to garnish
- For the Pav
- 8-10 ladi pavs
- Butter to toast the pavs
- Pav bhaji masala - optional
- To serve:
- One large onion- finely chopped
- Coriander leaves to garnish- 1tbsp
- Lemons- 2 chopped into wedges
Steps to make Pav bhaji
- For the bhaji
- Heat butter in a thick bottomed pan and add the chopped onion. Once it turns transcluscent, add the ginger-garlic paste and fry till the raw smell goes.
- Add the potatoes, carrots, beans and peas and fry till they are tender.
- Stir in the Cauliflower florets, chopped bell pepper, salt, sugar, turmeric and paprika powder and sauté for 3-4mins more.
- Add the chopped tomato and tomato puree, mix well, add two and a half cups of water and cook covered till the vegetables are completely cooked.
- Mash the mixture with potato masher. Add the pac bhaji masala and black salt and mash some more.
- Allow the bhaji to simmer for five more mins. If you feel the mixture is thick then add half cup of water and allow the mixture to cook for two mins more.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with toasted Pav
- For the Pav:
- Slit the Pavs vertically and spread butter generously on the insides of the bread.
- Place the pav buttered side down on a pre heated skillet and toast till brown and crisp.
- Turn the pac and toast on the other side as well. Use more butter if required.
- To serve
- Place a cup of bhaji, two toasted Pavs, chopped onions and lemon wedges on a plate.
- Top the bhaji with extra butter and pav bhaji masala if required and garnish with coriander leaves and serve immediately.