How To Make Dahi Misal (Warm Chickpea Chaat)
Dahi (Yogurt) – Misal (Mixture) is a snack popular in Maharashtra, a western state of India. Crunchy, zesty and packed with tons of flavors and protein, it is one filling snack!
- Prep Time30mins
- Cook Time30mins
Key ingredients for Dahi Misal (Warm Chickpea Chaat)
How to make Garam Masala
Ingredients to make Dahi Misal (Warm Chickpea Chaat)
- 1 + ⅔ cups chickpeas, boiled (You can use canned or boil dry chickpeas at home)
- 1-2 small potatoes, boiled, peeled and mushed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 bay leaf
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- 4-5 cloves
- 2-3 dried red chili
- ½ cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 tomato, chopped very fine
- ½ tsp Garam Masala
- ¾ tsp amchoor powder (or dried mango powder) (Easily found at Indian stores)
- Salt to taste
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp dry coriander powder
- ¾ tsp Cumin Powder
- 1-2 green chili, made into a paste (or less if you want less spicy)
- 2 tsp fresh ginger paste
- 1 tsp Garlic paste
- 1 Cup water
- Namkeen (You can find the one named "hot mix" in Indian stores or you can use any packet kinds sold in almost all Indian stores and even in some big grocery stores)
- Lots of chopped red onion
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Sweet & Salty Yogurt
- Green cilantro chutney
- Sweet Date Chutney
Steps to make Dahi Misal (Warm Chickpea Chaat)
- In a pot, add oil. Once hot, add bay leaf, cinnamon stick, cloves and red chili to it. Once they start to sizzle, add chopped onions and cook until softened. Add tomato and cook until it becomes a bit soupy.
- Add spices (garam masala, amchoor, salt, turmeric, coriander powder,cumin, green chili paste, ginger paste and garlic paste)
- Stir it all around until cooked through. Add a cup of water to it and cook on slow-medium until gravy gets a bit thick. Add mushed up potatoes and chickpeas. If starts to get dry, add more water.
- Cover and cook on low for 10-15 minutes or until the flavors develop. Taste and adjust seasoning. Keep it aside.
- Mix ½ cup yogurt with ¼ cup water, salt to taste, pinch of red chili powder, ½ tsp roasted cumin powder and pinch of sugar.
- Blend together bunch of freshly chopped cilantro, few green chilies or as per taste, salt, ¼ tsp cumin seeds, 1 tsp ginger chopped and lemon juice to taste until smooth. Adjust seasonings as per taste) or you can simply ready made.
- Soak 10-12 dates in hot water for 15-20 minutes. Blend it in a high speed blender until smooth.Transfer it to a pot.To it add salt to taste, 1 tsp chili powder, ½ tsp garam masala, Sugar or jaggery as per taste along with some water.
- Cook on low with frequent stirring until it gets thick or reaches the desired consistency. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- In a bowl or plate, place some warm chickpeas. To it add some namkeen/ hot mix, green chutney, date chutney, yogurt, onions, cilantro and tomatoes (if using). Serve immediately.