How To Make Upma
Upma’ is a very popular South Indian style breakfast dish. I’m sharing my version here, the way I love to cook Upma for my family. Nevertheless to say it’s a very healthy breakfast option. :)
- Prep Time10mins
- Cook Time15mins
Ingredients to make Upma
- Semolina/sooji/rava (roasted)- 1 cup
- Onion (medium sized)- 1 (finely chopped)
- Green chilli- 1-2 (finely chopped)
- Cashew nuts- 2 tbsp
- Boiled potato- 1 medium sized (cut into small cubes)
- Sugar- 1 tsp (optional)
- Vegetable oil- 2 tbsp
- for tempering- Chana dal/bengal gram- 2 tbsp
- Urad dal- 1 tbsp
- Black mustard seeds- 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds- 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves- 2 sprigs
Steps to make Upma
- In a frying pan dry fry the cashew nuts for one or two minutes on medium flame until very light brown in color. Remove and keep aside.
- Heat oil, add all the ingredients mentioned ‘for tempering’. Now add chopped onion, stir fry on medium flame until light brown. Add sooji, cubed potatoes, salt and green chilies. Mix well, add 1/4 cup water, mix briefly. Cook on low flame, stir in between. After few minutes sprinkle some more water.
- Add cashew nuts and sugar. Mix and cook until sooji becomes soft. At the end of the cooking you will get a soft and moist mixture, now your Upma is ready. Remove from heat. Serve immediately.
My Tip: You can pair this with some coconut chutney or any pickle of your choice.