Ingredients to make Kerala Parotta/ Malabar Paratha
- 3 cups of all purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup of vegetable oil
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 1 1/4 tsp of salt
- water as required
Steps to make Kerala Parotta/ Malabar Paratha
- In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients together to form the dough. Knead for a couple of minutes untill you get a soft and non sticky dough. Cling wrap it and let it rest for about 3 hrs.
- After 3 hrs, divide them into 8 equal size balls of dough. Take a ball of dough. Oil the counter top and start rolling out the dough untill it is paper thin in thickness. It would look like a very thin translucent membrane
- Starting on one end, make very thin pleats as you layer them up. You would end up with a long string of layered dough. Now start rolling from one end of the dough untill you reach the other end and secure it in the middle of rolled dough
- Repeat the same with the rest of the balls of dough. After you are done making the layered balls of dough, roll out each of them into 6 inch discs.
- Heat up a pan and spread a tsp of oil. Cook the parotta in it, flipping it as needed untill the parotta get brown patches and cooked thoroughly. Once cooked, remove it from the pan.
- Once you are done making 3-4 parottas, stack them and using your palm bash them up quickly, a couple of times, from the sides to separate the layers.
- Serve it hot with any curry of your choice.
My Tip: Please be generous with the oil that you use while rolling out the dough to get a flaky and soft paratha.