- Moong dal - 1 1/2 cup
- Grated coconut - 1 cup
- Jaggery - 250 gms
- Cardamom - 5
- All purpose flour - 1 cup
- 1/8 tsp of salt
- Clean the moong dal and cook it in a pressure cooker. Make sure you do not overcook it
- Meanwhile crush the cardamom. Take the jaggery in a microwave safe bowl and add 4-5 tsps of water and microwave it for 1-2 mins, to melt the jaggery. Drain out the excess water from the cooked moong dal.
- Heat a pan and pour the melted jaggery into it. Add grated coconut and crushed cardamom into it.
- Once the mixture gets heated up, add the moong dal and mix it well. Let it cook for about 5-10 minutes or untill all the water vaporises and you get a dry mixture.
- Let the mix cool down. Make small balls of the mixture and keep it aside. In a bowl, mix the all purpose flour, salt and water to form a thick batter.
- Dip each of the balls made in this batter and fry it.
My Tip: The moong dal shouldn't get overcooked. For me, it took 2 whistles on high heat in a pressure cooker, to get the dal cooked. However, the same may not turn out to be helpful for you as the cooking duration would differ according to the variety of dal you use. You could melt the jaggery on stove with about 1/4 cup water added to it. In that case, you may need to grate the jaggery to quicken the process.