Ingredients to make Flowery Citrus Cake
- All purpose flour/maida- 2 ¾ cups (plus more for dusting the pan)
- Superfine sugar- 1 ½ cups
- Baking powder- 2 tsp
- Salt- 1 tsp
- Creme fraiche 3/4 cup
- Eggs - 6 (at room temperature)
- Unsalted butter (melted) – 150 grams
- Oranges- 2 (may require more depending on the size)
- Lemons- 2 (may require more depending on the size)
- Cooking spray or extra butter for greasing the pan
- Fresh lemon juice- 1/3 cup (for the syrup)
- Fresh orange juice- 3 tbsp (for the syrup)
- Sugar - ½ cup (for the syrup)
- Grand Marnier- 1 tbsp (optional)
Steps to make Flowery Citrus Cake
- Zest the oranges and lemons. Then, remove the peel and white pith from the oranges and lemon. Cut between membranes to get clean segments.
- Put the citrus segments in one bowl and squeeze juice from remaining membranes into another bowl.
- Cut the segments in to small pieces. You will need 3/4 cup of segments and 3 tbsp of citrus juice.
- Preheat oven to 175 degree C. Take a 10 cup tube pan or Bundt pan; grease well with cooking spray or butter, dust with flour and tap out any excess.
- In a bowl whisk together the flour, superfine sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add creme fraiche and beat until combined. Then add the eggs, one at a time, beating to combine after each addition. Beat in butter, citrus juices and zest.
- Add citrus segments and mix until just combined. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until done
- For the syrup- In a saucepan combine the citrus juices with sugar. Bring to a boil, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Boil for 30 seconds more. Take it off the heat and add the Grand Marnier, if using.
- Once the cake is baked, take it out of the oven and let cool. Once cooled, invert onto a serving dish and slowly keep pouring the syrup over it. The cake will absorb all the syrup. Decorate with edible flowers and citrus zest, if you like.
My Tip: You will need to use the big lemon for this, you can even use oranges instead. You can substitute creme fraiche with sour cream. This cake can be served with sweetened whipped cream, a drizzle of honey or a dusting of powdered sugar for added sweetness.