Meen Kulambu/Fish Curry with Coconut
How to make Idli/Dosa Batter
- Fish -10 pieces (clean and cut into regular pieces)
- Onion -1 chopped
- Tomato -1 (chopped)
- Garlic - 2 or 3 cloves (finely chopped)
- Tamarind (puli) -1 big lemon sized ball
- Coriander powder- 4 tsp
- Chilli powder- 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
- Oil -2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- To grind: Coconut - 1/2 cup (grated), Fennel seeds- 1/4 tsp (optional)
- For seasoning: Fenugreek seeds - 1 tsp, Curry leaves - a few, Fennel seed - 1 tsp
- Grind the coconut and fennel seed with a little water to make a fine paste. Keep aside. Soak the tamarind in 2 cups of water.
- Take a wide kadai, add oil and season with fenugreek seeds, fennel seeds,curry leaves.
- Once it splutters, fry the garlic, onion and chilli. Add the dry spice powders and fry for a few minutes, then immediately add tomato and salt. If you think it is sticking to the pan add in a little water.
- After the tomato melts, add the tamarind extract and coconut paste. Stir it well and allow to boil and cook for 10 minutes.
- Once oil leaves the sides of the pan, add the fish. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes and add few curry leaves before removing from stove and close the lid to enhance the taste.
- Allow it to rest for some time. Serve it hot with steamed white rice, idli or dosa.