How To Make Meen Kulambu/Fish Curry with Coconut
Our home-style fish curryand our family's favorite! You can try this recipe with all kind of fishes, it suits well not just with rice but also Idli, Dosa, Uthappam, etc, as well.
- Prep Time15mins
- Cook Time10mins
Key ingredients for Meen Kulambu/Fish Curry with Coconut
How to make Idli/Dosa Batter
Ingredients to make Meen Kulambu/Fish Curry with Coconut
- Fish -10 pieces (clean and cut into regular pieces)
- Onion -1 chopped
- Tomato -1 (chopped)
- Garlic - 2 or 3 cloves (finely chopped)
- Tamarind (puli) -1 big lemon sized ball
- Coriander powder- 4 tsp
- Chilli powder- 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
- Oil -2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- To grind: Coconut - 1/2 cup (grated), Fennel seeds- 1/4 tsp (optional)
- For seasoning: Fenugreek seeds - 1 tsp, Curry leaves - a few, Fennel seed - 1 tsp
Steps to make Meen Kulambu/Fish Curry with Coconut
- Grind the coconut and fennel seed with a little water to make a fine paste. Keep aside. Soak the tamarind in 2 cups of water.
- Take a wide kadai, add oil and season with fenugreek seeds, fennel seeds,curry leaves.
- Once it splutters, fry the garlic, onion and chilli. Add the dry spice powders and fry for a few minutes, then immediately add tomato and salt. If you think it is sticking to the pan add in a little water.
- After the tomato melts, add the tamarind extract and coconut paste. Stir it well and allow to boil and cook for 10 minutes.
- Once oil leaves the sides of the pan, add the fish. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes and add few curry leaves before removing from stove and close the lid to enhance the taste.
- Allow it to rest for some time. Serve it hot with steamed white rice, idli or dosa.