How To Make Sabudana Khichdi
Sabudana khichdi (or tehri as we call it in Lucknow) is easily a unanimously favourite dish during fasts. Sabudana is not a grain or pulse and is full of carbohydrates which fills you up really fast. Top it with dahi and it makes for a complete meal. I still remember, when my mother used to fast she’d cook sbudana khichdi for all of us; even if we weren’t fasting. I always loved the way she made it, slightly sticky and spicy. When I came to Bombay I ate the less spicier version with curry leaves. I didn’t like it initially but then developed a taste for it. This khichdi becamr my go-to Sunday meal while I was living alone. Eventually I learnt the process of how to make the non-sticky khichdi. Here’s my mom’s recipe
- Prep Time0mins
- Cook Time20mins
Ingredients to make Sabudana Khichdi
- Sabudana (tapioca pearls) - 1 cup
- Potato - 1 medium size
- Green chilli - 1
- Peanuts (crushed) - 1/4 cup
- Amchoor (dry mango powder) - 1 tsp
- Red chilli powder - 1 tsp
- Sugar - 1 tsp
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Juice of half lime
- Coriander leaves for garnish
- Dahi to serve with
Steps to make Sabudana Khichdi
- Soak sabudana in water and leave it for half an hour.
- Drain excess water, cover and leave it overnight. This will result in beautiful non-sticky khichdi.
- Finely chop potato and green chilli.
- Heat oil in a kadhai and fry peanuts.
- Add potato, chilli, amchoor, red chilli powder, sugar and let the potatoes cook.
- Now add sabudana and salt, mix well and cook for 5 minutes. Make sure you don’t overcook it or it’ll get sticky.
- Mix in lime juice, garnish with coriander leaves and serve with dahi.