How To Make Date and Walnut Oat Cake
A deceptively simple cake, that's made with whole wheat and sweetened with dates and honey
- Prep Time35mins
- Cook Time40mins
Ingredients to make Date and Walnut Oat Cake
- 1 1/2 cup dates, seeds removed
- 1 Cup water
- 1/2 honey
- 1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 plus 1/4 cup quick cooking oats
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 egg
- 2 tblsp melted butter
- A pinch of salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional)
Steps to make Date and Walnut Oat Cake
- In a saucepan add dates, honey and water. Bring to a rolling boil and let it simmer for 15 minutes. Add 1/2 cup oats to this. Set aside for another 15 minutes.
- Measure out the whole wheat flour, cinnamon, salt and baking soda. Keep aside
- In a bowl whisk together the egg and butter. Add the date and oat mix to it. And whisk well.
- Add in all the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Do NOT over mix. Add in the water.
- Pour the cake into a prepared tin. Add the remaining oats on top of this mixture. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.