How To Make Yakhni
Kashmiri Cuisine is a hidden pearl in the ocean of diverse Indian recipes. Not many people explore this cuisine nor is it commonly served in restaurants. A peep into this cuisine disclosed a wide array of amazing dishes and a style of cooking which was unexplored by me until now. Yakhni is a yogurt based mutton gravy which seems to have originated in Persia and percolated to Kashmir sometime during the Akbar Era. The flavours of fennel, dry ginger,cumin and cardamom combined with yogurt gives this dish a real soothing touch and makes this different from the usual mutton gravies.
- Prep Time10mins
- Cook Time40mins
Key ingredients for Yakhni
How to make Ghee
Ingredients to make Yakhni
- Mutton pieces 500 gms
- Yogurt 2 &1/2 Cups
- Fennel Powder 2 Tsp
- Dry Ginger Powder 1 Tsp
- Cinnamon 3" stick
- Black Cardamoms 2
- Green cardamoms 3
- Cloves 2
- Shahi jeera 1 tsp
- Asafoetida 1/4 Tsp
- Cornflour 2 Tsp
- Mustard Oil 1/2 Cup + 2 Tbsp
- Ghee 2 Tbsp
- Water 1 1/2 Cup
- Salt to taste
Steps to make Yakhni
- Wash the mutton pieces and drain the water.
- Heat ½ Cup Mustard Oil in a pressure cooker; add the bay leaves, cinnamon and cloves.
- When aromatic, add ¼ Tsp Asafoetida dissolved in 1 Tsp water to it.
- Now add in the mutton pieces and fry on high flame for about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the Fennel and Ginger powder, Salt and 1 ½ Cups water. Mix well and pressure cook for about 10-15 minutes or till the mutton is soft.
- Meanwhile, whisk 2 ½ Cups yogurt in a bowl.
- Heat 2 Tbsp mustard oil in a skillet and sauté the cumin seeds till they start to crackle. Be careful not to burn them.
- Now add the whisked yogurt to the skillet and stir constantly on high flame till the yogurt starts to boil. This is done to avoid the curdling of yogurt.
- Remove from flame and add the yogurt to the pressure cooker, mix well and continue to cook on medium flame.
- Mix 2 tsp of corn flour in 3 tbsp of water and add to the gravy. This is done to thicken the gravy.
- Coarsely grind the green and brown cardamoms and add it to the gravy along with 2 Tbsp Ghee.
- Continue to cook till the gravy reaches the desired consistency.
- Serve hot with Steamed Rice/Roti.