How To Make Amla Pickle / Indian Gooseberry Pickle Recipe
Indians love pickles and a typical Indian meal is incomplete without a pickle served by the side. I am sharing my mums recipe of a very easy yet delicious Amla Pickle. This pickle gets a spicy kick from the red chili powder, a slight sweet taste due to added Jaggery , a tinge of bitterness from the fenugreek seeds and the amla imparts sourness to the pickle .
- Prep Time15mins
- Cook Time25mins
Ingredients to make Amla Pickle / Indian Gooseberry Pickle Recipe
- 1/2 kg Amla / Indian Gooseberry (14-15 large or 17-20 small )
- 1/4 Cup Red Chili Powder
- 1/4 cup Salt
- 1/4 cup Mustard seed dal
- 1/4 cup grated Jaggery
- 2 tbsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp roasted fenugreek seeds / Methi dana powder
- 1 tsp Hing / Asafoetida
- 1 1/2 Cup Oil
Steps to make Amla Pickle / Indian Gooseberry Pickle Recipe
- Wash the Amla , pat dry and prick all over with fork. Keep them in a colander. Heat up water in a big vessel. Keep the colander of Amla over it and cover it. Let the Amla cook on steam for about 20 minutes.
- Dry roast the fenu greek seeds on a heated skillet until fragrant. Cool and grind them to powder. Also let the amla cool down. Now remove seed and make small wedges of the cooked amla.
- In a big vessel first spread the Amla wedges. Now sprinkle the Turmeric powder all over it followed by the Fenugreek powder, Hing , Mustard Seed dal ,Salt and Red Chili powder.
- Mix it nicely with a spatula. Now add in the grated Jaggery and mix again. Heat up the Oil on a low to medium flame . Do not boil it. Put off the flame and let the oil cool down a bit . Now add this Oil to the pickle masala and mix well.
- Keep the pickle covered overnight. Next day oil will float up . Stir it again and fill in clean and dry glass jars.This pickle stays good at room temperature for about 2-3 months. But color may darken slightly so better to refrigerate.
- This pickle can be eaten immediately and does not require to be kept in sunlight. Serve it with chapati , rice, khichadi or any paratha of your choice.