- 15 baby brinjal/baigan
- 1/2 cup Fresh coriander / Hara dhaniya
- 2 tbsp Mango powder/amchoor
- 2 tbsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 3.5 tbsp corinder powder/dhaniya powder
- 1 tbsp Salt /namak
- 1.5 tbsp Fennel Seeds / Saunf (coarse powder)
- 5.5 tbsp Mustard oil/sarso tel
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds/ sabut jeera
- Wash and wipe the brinjals dry with a cloth. With a sharp knife make 2 or 4 slits in the brinjals. Heat oil in a heavy and broad pan till it comes to a smoking point then let it cool.
- Take a bowl, add in mango powder, salt, turmeric, coriander powder, chili powder, crushed fennel and asafoetida. Pour 2 tbsp warm oil into the spices, mix & add in the chopped fresh coriander. Stuff the brinjals with this prepared stuffing.
- Add cumin seeds into the oil, once they crackle, add a pinch of turmeric, 1/4 tsp salt and stir. Add the stuffed brinjals into the pan. (in which we have heated the mustard oil)
- Sprinkle 2 tbsp of the remaining stuffing masala over the brinjals. Cover the pan with a lid and cook on low heat. Gently stir and turn the brinjals 2-3 times and cook till its done. Serve with roti, poori or dal-rice combo.
My Tip: For left over stuffing mixture, stuff in green chilies/potato roundels also. It stays well for 3 days at room temperature (Good travel food).