Kairi Chi Daal / Lentil and coconut salad
- Chana daal/bengal gram- 1 cup
- Raw mango,grated - 1 cup
- Green chili,chopped - 3
- Ginger grated - 1.5 teaspoon
- Curry leaves, chopped - 5
- Dried whole red chilies- 4
- Fresh coconut, grated- 1/3 cup
- Fresh coriander,chopped- 3 tablespoon
- Sugar- 2.5 tablespoon
- Salt- to taste
- cooking oil- 2.5 tbsp
- Mustard seeds /Rai - 2 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds /Jeera- 1 teaspoon
- Asafoetida /hing- 1/3 teaspoon
- Chili powder- 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric- 3/4 teaspoon
- Curry leaves - 5
- Wash and soak 1 cup chana daal in enough water for 4 hours.
- Drain water and coarsely crush the daal along with green chilies(take care that we need thick and coarse daal ,so don't make a fine paste.
- In a bowl, add the crushed daal, grated coconut, grated raw mango, ginger,chopped coriander, salt and sugar in a bowl and mix well.
- Tempering heat oil in a small pan and add the whole red chilies and fry till they become crisp. Now remove the fried chilies from the pan and keep aside.
- Add cumin and mustard seeds in the same pan, when cumin startscrackling then add asafoetida and curry leaves.
- Now remove the pan from the flame and add turmeric and chili powder and immediately pour the tempering over the daal mixture and mix.
- Crush the fried red chilies in small pieces and add in the daal mixture and mix well.
- Serve as a snack, side dish or salad.
My Tip: *If raw mango/Kairi is not available then can substitute it with lemon juice