How to make Ghee
- Broken wheat (dalia) half cup
- Jaggery (gur) half cup (add more if you like it sweeter)
- Water- 2 cups
- Ghee- 3-4 tbsp
- Cardamom powder- half tsp
- Almonds (slivered) and raisins- 2 tsp each
- Heat ghee in a pan. Add the broken wheat and roast (stirring constantly) on a low-medium flame till the colour of the broken wheat changes from a light brown-golden to a reddish hue and you get a lovely roasted nutty aroma.
- While this is happening, in a separate pan mix the jaggery and water and bring to a boil. If any white scum rises to the surface, remove with a spoon and discard.
- Slowly and carefully add the jaggery-water mix to the roasted broken wheat. Add the cardamom powder and cover the pan with a lid. Let it simmer till the water has almost dried up (stir occasionally).
- Once the lapsi is cooked, add the almonds and raisins and serve hot. You could add any nuts or dried fruit to the lapsi or leave it out altogether.