Key ingredients for Kalia
How to make Garam Masala
Ingredients to make Kalia
- Lamb 1 kg
- Water 1½ cups / 300 ml
- Turmeric (haldi) powder 1 tsp / 5 gms
- Ginger powder (saunth) 1 tsp / 5 gms
- Aniseed (saunf) powder 3 tsp / 15 gms
- Salt to taste
- Asafoetida (hing) a pinch
- Black cardamoms (bari elaichi), crushed 2
- Bay leaves (tej patta) 2
- Milk ¼ cup / 50 ml
- Yoghurt (dahi) ¼ tsp / 50 ml
- Oil (for tempering) 2 tbsp / 30 ml
- Garam masala ½ tsp / 3 gm
- Cloves (laung) 4
- Green cardamoms (choti elaichi) 4
Steps to make Kalia
- Cook the lamb with water in a pot, on high flame.
- Add the turmeric, ginger and aniseed powders, salt, asafoetida, black cardamoms and bayleaves. Cook covered, for about 20 minutes on a high flame. Stir occasionally.
- Once the lamb is almost tender, cook uncovered over a low flame.
- Beat the milk and yogurt into a smooth mixture. Add this to the lamb, stirring constantly. Bring it to a boil over a high flame, stirring continuously. Cook for 5 minutes, after it comes to a boil.
- In a small pan, heat the oil. Sauté the cloves and green cardamoms for a few seconds. Add this spice mixture to the lamb.
- Serve with steamed rice.