How to make Ghee
- Cottage cheese (paneer), ½‘’ cubes 250 gms
- Clarified butter (ghee) for frying
- Clarified butter (ghee) 2 tbsp / 30 gms
- Almonds (badam), blanched ½ cup / 100 gms
- Currants (kishmish), ½ cup / 100 gms
- Coconut (nariyal), slivered ¼ cup / 50 gms
- Dried dates (khajoor), deseeded, slivered ¼ cup / 50 gms
- Black peppercorns (sabut kali mirch) 1 tsp / 5 gms
- Water 1 cup / 200 ml
- Sugar 1½ cup / 300 gms
- Green cardamoms (choti elaichi), crushed 6
- Saffron (kesar) ½ tsp / 3 gms
- Candied sugar (misri) ¼ cup / 50 gms
- Lemon (nimbu) juice 1 tbsp / 15 ml
- Heat the clarified butter (for frying) and fry the cottage cheese lightly. Remove and put aside.
- Heat 30 gm of clarified butter in a pot. Lightly sauté the almonds, currants, coconut, dates and pepper-corns for 1 minute.
- Add water, sugar and green cardamoms. Stir till the water comes to a boil. Lower the flame and cook for 5 minutes.
- Soak the saffron in 2 tsp of hot water and crush it with the back of a spoon. Mix into the pot and stir well.
- Add the candied sugar and the lemon juice; stir again. When the syrup becomes thick (not dry), remove from the flame.
- Serve warm.