The Biryani purists will tell you that every Biryani that doesn’t have Meat is fake, so here is the recipe for a very Fake ‘Fish Biryani’. It is a no fuss, simple and quick recipe. It won’t make your heart narrate Urdu poetry, but it will make you euphoric. Don’t let the number of ingredients scare you from making this. I cook the rice and the fish at the same time and then just have to assemble everything, trust me if I can make this anyone can.
- Prep Time0Minutes
- Cooking Time60Minutes
- 1 ½ Cup Basmati Rice
- 2 Bay leaves
- 2 Green Cardamoms
- 2 Cloves
- 1 tsp Shahi Jeera
- 1 tsp Vegetable Oil
- 200 gms Prawns
- 2 Fillets of any white fish
- 1 tbsp Semolina
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli powder
- Juice of half a lemon
- Vegetable oil to shallow fry the Fish
- 2 large ripe Tomatoes chopped
- 1 large Onion finely chopped
- 2 -3 green chillies finely chopped
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped Coriander
- 1 ½ tsp Coriander powder
- 1 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp fresh Ginger paste
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1/3 cup Milk
- A few strands of Saffron
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- Freshly chopped Coriander
- Salt to taste
- Wash the rice under water and cook with all the ingredients and 2 cups of Water. The rice should be half cooked
- Keep it aside as we will cook it later with the Fish
- Cut the fillets into bite sized pieces. Rub the turmeric powder, chilli powder, salt and lemon juice on the fish and leave to marinade for 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan. Pour the Semolina in a dish or Kitchen towel and coat the marinated fish pieces on all sides.
- Shallow fry the fish till golden brown on all sides but completely cooked, usually 3 – 4 minutes on each side
- Drain on a kitchen towel and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a big heavy bottomed pan in which you will place the Biryani.
- Add the cumin seeds, green chillies and ginger and cook for a few seconds.
- Add the onion and sauté till translucent. Now add the tomatoes, turmeric powder, coriander powder, chilli powder and salt and cook till mushy and then add the fresh coriander.
- Add 1 cup of hot water and bring to a boil. Lower the flame and place the fish pieces gently in this mixture. Gently layer with the par boiled rice.
- Warm the milk and add the saffron in it, leave aside for 10 minutes.
- When you have layered the rice on top of the fish, garnish the rice with saffron milk.
- Add the Lemon juice in between any gaps, cover and cook for 15 minutes on a low flame.
- Serve hot garnished with fresh coriander and lemon wedges.