How To Make Kashmiri Pulao
One interesting flavorful and nutty one pot dish - the most popular kashmiri pulao.
- Prep Time10mins
- Cook Time25mins
Key ingredients for Kashmiri Pulao
How to make Ghee
Ingredients to make Kashmiri Pulao
- Basmati Rice - 75 grams
- Big onion - 1 (thinly sliced)
- Green chilli - 1 (optional)
- Ginger - 1/4 inch long small piece (crushed)
- Mint leaves - Few (8 to 10 leaves)
- Cumin powder - 1/4 teaspoon
- Raisins - 15 to 20 (reduce if you are not a big fan of it)
- Saffron - a pinch
- Sugar - 1/4 teaspoon
- Almonds - 5 to 10 (sliced)
- Cashew nuts - 8
- Walnuts - 3 to 5 (sliced)
- Pistachios - 3 to 5 (sliced)
- Cloves - 2
- Bay leaf - 1
- Cardamom pods - 2
- Cinnamon stick - 1 small piece
- Cumin seeds - 1/4 teaspoon
- Peppercorns - 1/4 teaspoon
- Ghee - 2 teaspoons
- Oil - 2 tablespoons
Steps to make Kashmiri Pulao
- Wash basmati rice twice in water and add them to a pan, pour water about 3 or 4 times the quantity of rice. Then add some salt and a teaspoon of oil. Cook on a medium flame until the rice seems cooked but grainy. Remove from flame.
- Drain water and keep cooked rice aside.
- Now place a pan on flame and pour ghee along with oil. After it heats up add the sliced onions and sugar. Saute on a medium flame until the onions turn brown and caramelized. Remove the onions from pan and set aside.
- To the same oil add the whole spices such as Bay leaf, cardamom pods, cumin seeds, cardamom pods, cloves, cinnamon stick, peppercorns and saute on a very low flame for a few seconds.
- Then add the nuts, crushed ginger, slit green chilly, raisins and saute on a low flame until the nuts seem crisp and slightly browned. Now add some mint leaves and give a stir.
- Add cumin powder and necessary salt and saute until the raw smell goes away.
- Then add the saffron strands (crush it well before use) and saute for a few seconds.
- Then add the cooked rice and saute gently so that you do not break the rice grains. Saute until the nut mixture gets mixed up well with the rice.
- Finally add the caramelized onions and stir well. (Reserve some caramelized onions for garnishing)
- Remove from flame and garnish with chopped mints leaves or caramelized onions and serve hot with some curry.