How To Make Til Nariyal Laddu | Sesame Coconut Balls
Makar Sankranti signifies that we move from the darkness of ignorance towards the light of true knowledge. In Kumaon, fares are held, cultural events are organized and traditional sweets with sesame seeds (til) are prepared at home. Til laddus are prepared and offered to Gods.
- Prep Time45mins
- Cook Time20mins
Ingredients to make Til Nariyal Laddu | Sesame Coconut Balls
- 2 ½ cups white sesame seeds
- 1 ½ cup desiccated coconut
- 1 tin sweetened condensed milk (400g)
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg powder
Steps to make Til Nariyal Laddu | Sesame Coconut Balls
- Roast sesame seeds in a thick bottomed wok over low flame till the seeds become light brown and a sweet aroma emanates (roast over low flame stirring constantly. The seeds burn very fast).
- Keep the roasted seeds for ½ hour to cool completely.
- Reserve ½ cup of the roasted seeds to roll the balls. Powder 2 cups sesame seeds coarsely.
- In a thick bottomed steel wok add ground sesame seeds, desiccated powder and condensed milk.
- Cook over low flame stirring continuously till the mixture begins to thicken. Add nutmeg powder. Turn off the heat when the mixture begins to leave the sides and comes together like a big ball when stirred.
- Roll out medium size balls (laddus) and toss them in the sesame seeds.
- Cool and store in an air tight container.