How To Make Sarson Da Saag And Makki Di Roti
Come winters Makki di roti (coarse maize bread) and Sarson da saag (mustard plant) are culinary delights that are savoured in every household of North India especially Punjab .The prominent names that come to mind whenever Punjabi cuisine is mentioned are tandoori chicken and butter chicken. But one thing that remains literally evergreen, is the traditional Punjabi dish of sarson da saag with makki di roti. Come winter and every Punjabi household, eateries and most roadside dhabas have their fill of this dish which is rich in iron and calories.
- Prep Time30mins
- Cook Time40mins
Key ingredients for Sarson Da Saag And Makki Di Roti
How to make Garam Masala
How to make Ghee
Ingredients to make Sarson Da Saag And Makki Di Roti
- 4 cups chopped fresh mustard leaves
- 2 cups chopped spinach
- 1 cup chopped bathua (Wild Spinach)
- 2 tablespoons pure ghee
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 nos of medium tomatoes
- 2 inch piece of ginger, chopped
- 6-8 cloves garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 nos of green chillies chopped
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons Cornmeal
- Unsalted butter
- For garnishing:
- Tomatoes and Ginger, cut in julienne
- Sliced green chillies
- For Makke Ki Roti:
- 1 bunch of Chopped coriander leaves
- 2 cups Corn Meal or Maize flour
- Salt as per taste
- 1 inch finely chopped ginger
- 2 nos of finely chopped green chillies
- 1 teaspoon ajwain
- Warm water
Steps to make Sarson Da Saag And Makki Di Roti
- Clean, wash and chop the mustard leaves, spinach and wild spinach leaves and keep aside.
- In a pressure cooker, place the chopped mustard, spinach and wild spinach along with the ginger, garlic, tomatoes, salt and 2 cups of water. Bring to a whistle and let it simmer on a low heat for another 10 minutes.
- After cooling, take away the boiled leaves and keep the water aside. Place the boiled leaves in a food processor along with 2 tablespoon cornmeal and grind to a smooth paste.
- Now heat 2 tablespoon ghee in a pan. Add the finely chopped onion and saute till its light brown. Add the green chillies and saute for a few more minutes.
- Add the ground mixture , red chilli powder , coriander powder , garam masala and cook for five to ten minutes or till the paste thickens.
- Garnish with thinly sliced tomato, green chillies and ginger julliennes. Serve it hot with makki di roti.
- Foe Makki Ki Roti:
- Mix the maize flour, ajwain, chopped coriander, green chillies, ginger and salt in a bowl.
- Add warm water. Then mix and knead to make a smooth dough. Cover it with a damp kitchen cloth and cover the dough for 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough into equal parts. With your palm, flatten the dough pieces.Slowly roll the dough to a thick and small round on a silver foil or baking sheet to prevent it from sticking to the floor.
- Place the Roti on a hot Tawa or griddle and cook on both sides. Roti is now ready to be served. (Add a dash of butter for a richer taste.)