How To Make Kashmiri Murgh Mutanjan
Murgh Mutanjan is a recipe from Kashmir. In different areas there are variations in this recipe. It is full of colour, consists lots of flavours, nuts and is sweet in taste and also easy to cook.
- Prep Time2Hours
- Cook Time30mins
Key ingredients for Kashmiri Murgh Mutanjan
How to make Ghee
Ingredients to make Kashmiri Murgh Mutanjan
- For yakhani:
- 7-8 chicken drum sticks
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 strip cinnamon stick
- 1 black cardamom
- 3-4 cloves
- 7-8 whole black peppers
- For rice:
- 750 gm basmati rice, soaked atleast 2 hours and boiled
- 750 gm sugar (optional, if you want less sweetness the amount can be lesser)
- 1 tsp kewra essence
- 1 tsp red, green and orange food colour
- 1 and 1/2 cup of mixed dry fruits (like apricot, raisins, cashwes, almonds, pistachios, khopra and makhane)
- 1 badyan flower
- 2-3 green cardamoms
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Optional sweets like petha, chum-chum, rasgulla and desi ghee
Steps to make Kashmiri Murgh Mutanjan
- Take water in stove, add the chicken drum stick and all the whole masalas, boil it till it's cooked but not broken. Now separate these pieces from the water and drain the whole masala from the yakhani water. Keep this water aside.
- Now heat ghee on a big pan and slightly roast the dry fruits in it. Now add all the whole masala again in it, add the leg pieces, boiled rice, sugar and yakhani water in it, then add the food colour with space and the kewra essence.
- Now add the sweets pieces in it and cover the lid with a cotton cloth, then cover the rice pan with this lid for dum. When the vapour comes from all sides, remove the lid and mix the rice carefully, otherwise the rice will break and the taste is gone.
- When it's completely done again, sprinkle some dry fruits and boiled egg rings over it.
- Serve it hot.
My Tip: In different areas, few variations are used, such as salt to boil the rice, etc. So it's your choice to use salt or sugar as per your taste.