How To Make Whole Wheat Focaccia/ Italian Bread
Focaccia is one such bread that every beginner baker must try. It is rustic, soft and can be beautifully paired with dips, chutneys and pastas.
- Prep Time0mins
- Cook Time25mins
Key ingredients for Whole Wheat Focaccia/ Italian Bread
How To Make Pizza Dough
Ingredients to make Whole Wheat Focaccia/ Italian Bread
- 1 and 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon rapid dry yeast
- 2 pinch sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon mixed dry herbs
- 4 cloves garlic roughly chopped
- 5 olives roughly chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse sea salt (optional but recommended)
Steps to make Whole Wheat Focaccia/ Italian Bread
- Heat water in a microwave for 20 seconds. Dip your finger and check to make sure that the water is warm. Then mix the sugar and yeast in this water. Stir and store aside for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes you will see bubbles come out from this yeast mixture, next add in the flour, salt and 1/2 teaspoon of mixed herbs. Combine all of this together and knead the dough.
- Add 1/4 cup of oil into the dough. Keep kneading until the dough becomes soft and smooth.
- Take one large bowl and grease it with 1 tablespoon oil. Put the dough into this bowl and cover it, keep this aside in a warm surface for 45 minutes.
- After this time period, the dough will have risen, so take the dough and beat the air out by kneading it again. Flatten the dough on a grease pan in to any shape of your choice, but note that the thickness should be like that of a normal crust of pizza. Next cover the dough with a wet towel and store it in a warm place for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, poke holes on the dough. Cover and store this aside for 10 minutes. In the meantime, preheat your oven at 190 degree celsius.
- Carefully arrange the chopped garlic and olives on focaccia evenly.
- Prepare the oil. Add in the black pepper and remaining dry herbs. Store it aside.
- Next pour this oil mixture into the holes of the dough. Make sure to spread the oil mixture evenly without punching the air. Lastly, sprinkle the sea salt.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes. Note that the bread should be golden brown on top.
- Cut and serve once the bread has cooled down.
My Tip: Note that olive oil is a must have ingredient when baking focaccia, there can be no substitute for it.