How To Make Gooseberry (Amla), Almond and Honey Tart
There are many processes to this recipe; gooseberries as you may know can be sour and bitter in nature. So we’ve first got to poach them in sugared water till they become tender. On the side, we’ve got to prepare the shortcrust pastry and give it ample refrigeration. And then we’ve got to make the almond cream which is otherwise popularly known as frangipane. The pastry goes into the oven without the filling (blind baking) for a few minutes and then goes in again with the filling until the filling is cooked through. Like I said, it’s a long recipe, and you might even feel tired after making it, but a slice of this tart with a dollop of whipped cream is very very rewarding.
- Prep Time0mins
- Cook Time2Hours
Key ingredients for Gooseberry (Amla), Almond and Honey Tart
Homemade Short Crust Pastry
Ingredients to make Gooseberry (Amla), Almond and Honey Tart
- 400 g gooseberries washed and halved
- 200 g (1 cup) sugar
- 2 liters water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 230 g (1 ï†¾ cup) plain flour
- 140 g (3/4 cup) unsalted butter chilled and cubed
- 55 g (1/4 cup) caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 165 g (1 ½ Cups) ground almond
- 40 g (2 heaped tbsp) plain flour
- 165 g (1 Äµ cups) butter unsalted
- 90 g (1/2 cup) caster sugar
- 75 ml honey
- 3 eggs
- 20 g unsalted butter
- 40 g honey
Steps to make Gooseberry (Amla), Almond and Honey Tart
- For the pastry: add flour, salt and diced butter in a food processor. Process until it turns into a sandy texture. Add egg and pulse till the dough comes together.
- Place the dough onto your work surface, gather it into a rectangular shape to make it easier to roll out. Wrap in cling film and let it rest in the fridge for a minimum of 1 hour.
- Sprinkle some flour on the work surface. Roll out the pastry to a thickness of ½ inch. Knead well.
- Remove the excess flour on the top with a brush or with your fingertips. Fold the pastry over the rolling pin and unroll it on top of the tart tin
- Gently place the pastry into the tin, and then gently press it into the edges with your fingertips to line the base and sides.
- Remove the excess pastry with a knife. Chill the lined tart tin for 30 minutes. Preheat the oven at 160 C.
- For poached gooseberries: bring water to the boil. Add sugar and cinnamon stick.
- Allow sugar to dissolve and then add halved gooseberries. Poach them till gooseberries are tender but still have their shape.
- Scoop out the gooseberry seeds now (much easier to scoop out the seeds after they have been poached). Drain the water and set the gooseberries aside.
- Line the chilled tart with parchment paper and fill it with baking beans (chickpeas or kidney beans will do)
- Bake the tart for 40 minutes. This is called blind baking. Allow the tart to cool down.
- For the almond cream: blend ground almonds, flour, sugar, honey and eggs together in a food processor until creamy and smooth
- Fill the cooled tart shell with the almond cream filling. Place the gooseberry halves on top (as seen in the pic).
- Bake for 45 minutes until the tart is golden brown and the filling is cooked through. Glaze the tart with softened butter and honey.
- Cool the tart down completely before serving. Serve with whipping cream and a drizzle of honey.