Bhapa Doi | Baked Yogurt
Hung curd blended with milk and condensed milk is either baked in the oven or steamed on the stove top is a must have sweet dish in Bengali weddings. I first got the chance to taste this amazing dessert in Kolkata. People often get confused with Bhapa Doi and Mishti Doi, may be because both are so finely set the sometimes it gets difficult to make a difference. Bhapa Doi can be flavored with either cardamom, saffron or any fruit like strawberry, berry, pomegranate or even rose. It totally depends on one's choice. I personally like to keep my bhapa doi simple, hence i only add cardamom powder and later garnish it with any fruit or chopped nuts. The dessert requires three basic ingredients and is easy to prepare. The baking time though varies from oven to oven. Later refrigerated and served chilled!
- Prep Time10Minutes
- Cooking Time45Minutes
- Hung Curd or Greek Yogurt - 1 and 1/2 cup
- Milk - 1 cup
- Condensed Milk - 1 can (400 gms)
- Cardamom powder - 1 tsp
- Pistachios - 4 tbsp, chopped
- Raisins - handful (optional)
- Strawberries - few for garnishing
- In a large pan, whisk the hung curd and condensed milk together with a electric hand blender till it's smooth and creamy. Add the milk slowly and whisk again till you see the froth appearing.
- Add cardamom powder and handful of raisins and give a quick stir again.
- Preheat the oven at 180 degrees celsius and meanwhile take 6 ramekins or earthen ware or any oven safe bowl in which you want to bake the curd. You can also bake it in a large baking tray and later cut into pieces.
- Pour in the curd mix into the ramekins till the rim. In a baking tray or a drip tray of the oven , place the filled ramekins and pour water in the tray till the ramekins are half immersed.
- Place the tray in the oven and bake for 40-45 mins or till the tooth pick inserted comes out clean. The baking tie may vary from oven to oven.
- Take out the tray and let it cool. Once the ramekins are cooled completely, garnish it with chopped pistachios, strawberries or any fruit or nuts.
- Refrigerate the bhapa doi for a minimum of 2 hours before use.
- Serve it chilled.