Millet (Bajra) Dosa
Millet is mentioned as a Treasured Crop in the Bible. This tiny grain is gluten free and packed with vitamins and minerals like magnesium.. It's often used in bird seed mixture, but if you think it's just for the birds, you're missing out on important benefits of Millet Nutrition for yourself. Magnesium in Millet helps in reducing the affects of Migraines which has a become a common health concern of one in four and the Niacin (Vitamin B3) helps to lower cholesterol. All in all a perfectly healthy and nutritious recipe for everyone.
- Prep Time8Hours
- Cooking Time10Minutes
- 1 cup Millet/Bajra
- 1/4 cup Urad dal
- 1/3 cup Poha/ Rice flakes
- 1 tsp Fenugreek/ Methi seeds
- Salt to taste
- Oil to make the dosa
- Wash and Soak the bajra/ millet , urad dal and methi seeds in warm water for 4 to 6 hours or until it doubles in size. Prior to grinding, soak the poha in 1/3 cup water for 15 to 20 mins.
- Drain the water from the dal and millet mixture and grind into fine paste using fresh water. Once done, grind the soaked poha as well and add it to the dal, millet paste to mix well.
- Leave this batter to ferment overnight or until u see tiny bubbles over the top, unlike other batters it does not increase in volume, but you may observe little tiny bubbles and a slight sour smell to it. Next day add salt to taste and adjust the consistency to spreadable thickness.
- Heat a tawa/ skillet until it's hot and pour a laddle full of batter, spread it in a circular motion like a regular dosa. Drizzle few drops of oil at the sides and centre.
- Cook until it's golden in colour if they are thin enough then no need to flip, if thick please cook on both the sides.
- Once done fold/roll and serve with coconut chutney, peanut chutney, sambhar or chutney/ karam/ spice powder.
My Tip: Soak the ingredients well before grinding. Ferment the batter for 6-8 hrs and not more.