Is your skin oily and dull? Are you constantly trying to overcome the oil production on your face by undergoing those costly therapies in a beauty parlor but in vain? We’ve got your back! Oil secretion basically occurs due to the presence of sebum generated by the sebaceous glands in your skin. Though a natural moisturizer, overproduction of sebum might ruin your skin making it look dull with acne and clogged pores.
So listed below are a few ways to have control over the oil secretion that happens on your face round the clock. By following these simple steps you keep your skin looking fresher and beautiful all day long!
1) Blotting Papers
These are thin, matte finish papers that are pretty much available at all beauty outlets. Simply wipe your face with this paper and prevent your skin from looking oily and dull. This will eliminate the excess oil that rests on your skin for long hours and proves to be the best alternative to cleansing.
Another effective way to remove oil from your face and to cleanse the clogged pores is via steaming. After boiling water in a bowl, use a towel and wrap your face entirely with a bowl of hot water in order to let the steam onto your face. Remain in this position for a few minutes. This will clean the pores deeply to open it. Scrub your face gently with a homemade scrub (as mentioned below). Now wash your face with cold water immediately to close the pores.
People with oily skin seldom wash their face. If you have an oily face, it is advised to wash it at least twice a day and anytime in between when you feel the urge to cleanse it thoroughly. Avoid using rough scrubs or perfumed soaps on your face. This will further ruin the skin texture. By cleansing, you are helping your skin be oil-free and dry.
4) Face Packs
- Lemon with yogurt – Squeeze half a lemon and mix yogurt. Apply this on your face and let it stay for a few minutes before you wash it off. Lemon is a natural cleanser which reduces oil formation and yogurt removes dead skin cells.
- Multani mitti (Fuller’s earth) – Mix one or two spoons of Fuller’s earth powder with a spoon of rose water. Squeeze half a lemon to it and apply the paste on your face. Stay for 15 – 20 minutes and wash off. This is an excellent oil absorbent.
- Mint pack – Pluck a bunch of mint leaves and grind it with honey to make it into a paste. Apply the paste on your face and let it stay for 15 minutes before you wash it off.
Yes! People with oily skin must exfoliate at least once or twice a week. By scrubbing, the dead skin cells get eliminated and this protects your skin from oil, acne, whiteheads, and blackheads. You can try homemade scrubs like –
- Brown sugar with lemon
- White rice powder with ginger juice and honey
- Baking soda with honey and lemon
6) Rosewater Therapy
Many people believe that applying a moisturizer will further ruin your skin and make it look more oily. That’s not the case. You can still provide enough moisture to your skin by applying a moisturizer that is suitable and non-greasy! Opt for a natural moisturizer like aloe vera or select those products that contain more of aloe vera in it.
How to prevent your skin from becoming oily? Though this couldn’t be permanently resolved, you can control the amount of oil being secreted on your face to a certain extent. Avoid eating a lot of fried food and don’t go overboard overdo with makeup to hide your oily skin. This would only worsen the case. Choose oil-free makeup products that are milder and suitable for your skin. If the condition persists or escalates, consult a dermatologist.
Image source – pixabay, public domain, Wikipedia commons