Get Rid of a Stiff Neck with these Home Remedies!
When your neck seems to be so heavy and hurts so much that you cannot even turn it easily, it is called a Stiff Neck. This mostly occurs after a long sleep or even after sitting for long hours in the same position. It might seem as though you had gone through some adventure while sleeping! Stiff neck occurs mainly due to certain unhealthy habits like prolonged usage of a mobile phone with your neck facing downwards, wrong sitting posture, bad pillow, wrong sleeping posture, due to stress or it might occur as a result of Osteoarthritis – a situation where the body parts and joints are damaged.
Though this isn’t a serious problem; with proper care you can avoid these annoying scenarios and carry on with your routine with ease. Listed below are few home remedies, that can provide relief from a stiff neck:
1) Neck Exercises
A neck exercise will provide relief from the pain that occurs on the shoulders and around the neck.
- Sit straight and bend your head towards your chest (with your chin touching your chest )
- Then bend backwards and look up at the ceiling.
- Repeat this slowly 10 times or as much as possible.
- Similarly, turn towards your right side, keeping your head straight and then to your left.
- Repeat this for another 10 times and you will feel relaxed.
As turmeric is known for its anti-inflammatory properties, it helps in relieving stiffness in the neck.
- Add a spoon of turmeric to milk.
- Allow the milk to heat for 5 minutes on low flame.
- Add a teaspoon of honey and then drink the prepared milk.
3) Hot Compress
When the body heat compress is placed on any area of the body, it naturally reduces the stiffness in that particular area.
- Use a hot water bag and place it on the shoulder and neck regions.
- Hold it for 10-15 minutes and you will feel relaxed.
- Alternatively, you can also have a hot water shower for a few minutes (do not stand for long as it might burn on sensitive skin) by exposing the area directly. This is another excellent cure for neck stiffness.
- Repeat this 2 – 3 times in a day.
4) Epsom Salt
Another excellent remedy for neck stiffness is Epsom salt. This salt eases any type of muscle tension and increases the blood circulation.
- Fill 3/4th of your bathtub with warm water.
- Add Epsom salt to it.
- Immerse in this for a few minutes.
- Repeat this twice a day.
Massaging your neck region will release any tension and will help in increasing the blood flow.
- Heat a spoon of coconut or olive oil.
- Apply gently over the neck region and massage in a circular motion.
- For better impact, massage after having a hot water shower.
- Repeat this daily and you will feel the difference.
Image source: pixabay,youtube