Gushtaba(A Kashmiri delicacy)
Prep Time 20 min
Cook Time 35 min
Serves 6 people
About Gushtaba(A Kashmiri delicacy)
Gushtaba is an authentic non veg dish. It is made with minced mutton cooked in spiced yoghurt gravy. Traditionally gushtaba is made by mincing the meat in wooden mortal and pastle. But as I don't have that equipment, I use elictric mincer to make the keema.
Ingredients to make Gushtaba(A Kashmiri delicacy)
- Mutton keema 400 grams
- Yoghurt 3 cups
- Whole Cardamom 4-5
- Black Cardamom 1
- Cloves 4
- Black pepper corns 4-5
- Fennel powder 1 teaspoon
- Dry Ginger powder(sauth) 1 teaspoon
- Onion 3 big size
- Garlic paste 1 teaspoon
- Chilli flakes 1 teaspoon
- Mutton stock 1 litre
- Ghee 2 tablespoon
- A bunch of Mint leaves
- Salt to taste
- Vegetable oil to deep fry onoins
How to make Gushtaba(A Kashmiri delicacy)
- Mince 400 grams of mutton with atleast 20% fats.
- Add 4 cardamom and mince again so that no lumps remaim.
- Keema should be very nicely minced.
- Transfer to a plate.
- Take small.portions from the keema and make small balls.
- Thinly slice the onions.
- Fry the onions in hot oil until.golden brown.
- Drain from oil and spread in a kitchen towel.
- When they cool down grind them to a paste.
- Take fennel powder and dry ginger powder to a bowl.
- With little water make a paste and keep aside.
- Take 3 cups of yoghurt in a bowl.
- Add 2 cups of water and whisk to mix nicely.
- Sieve the yoghurt mixture through a siever.
- This will help to make the mixture smooth.
- Heat mutton stock in a saucepan and add the mutton balls.
- Cook with little salt and black pepper for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Drain the mutton balls and reserve the stock in a bowl.
- In the same pan add the yoghurt mixture , 2 cardamon, 1 black cardamom, 2-3 cloves and salt.
- Bring to boil in high heat by stirring constantly.
- Add garlic paste mixed with 1 teaspoon of water to the yoghurt.
- Add the reserved stock and cook for 5 minutes . Don't stop stirring.
- Add fennel and ginger powder paste.
- Stir and again cook for 5 minutes.
- Add ghee to the mixture.
- Mix and add chilli flakes.
- Next add the brown onion paste and stir well to incorporate.
- Adjust the seasoning in this stage.
- Drop the cooked meat balls in the yoghurt gravy.
- Cook for another few minutes .
- Roughly chop the Mint leaves.
- Add to the gravy , give it a mix and remove from heat. The consistency of the gravy should be little thin.
- Mutton gushtaba is now ready to serve. You can serve gushtaba with roti, chapati or steam rice.