Murgh Musallam - A Mughlai Delicacy
Prep Time 15 min
Cook Time 40 min
Serves 4 people
About Murgh Musallam - A Mughlai Delicacy
Murgh Musallam is a delicacy of Mughali Cuisine. Mughali Cuisine is always known for its rich and regal flavours….so is this recipe. Authentically this Murgh Musallam is made by stuffing the dry roasted spices into whole chicken and then cooked till done. This is one of my favourite and utmost flavoursome chicken recipe, which I love making and relishing.
Ingredients to make Murgh Musallam - A Mughlai Delicacy
- 1 kg. Chicken (medium sized pieces, washed)
- ¾ cup Brown onion paste
- ½ cup Tomato puree
- 1 tbsp. Ginger-Garlic paste
- 1½ tbsp. Red chili powder
- ½ tbsp. black Pepper powder
- ½ tbsp. Tumeric powder
- 1 tbsp. Roasted Spice powder
- 2 tbsp. Almond paste
- 2 tbsp. fresh minced Coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp. fresh Cream
- FOR ROASTED SPICE POWDER:
- ½ tbsp. Cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp. Coriander seeds
- 1 1’inch Cinnamon stick
- 3 cloves
- 3 Green Cardamom
- ½ tbsp. Black peppercorns
How to make Murgh Musallam - A Mughlai Delicacy
- Marinate chicken pieces with ginger-garlic paste, pepper powder and salt for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime dry roast the spices one by one listed under ‘FOR ROASTED SPICE POWDER’ on low flame for 4-5 minutes. Leave it to cool and make a fine powder.
- Add oil to a heavy bottom cooking vessel and shallow fry the chicken pieces in a single layer. You can add up to 5-6 chicken pieces at a time depending on the size of the vessel.
- Fry for 6-8 minutes per side or until the pieces are nice light brown. Remove using tongs on to a plate and repeat the process until all the pieces are done.
- Stain the oil. Take 2 tbsp. of oil from the stained oil and add to heavy bottom vessel. Add brown onion paste and tomato puree. Fry for 2 minutes and add red chili powder, turmeric powder and roasted spice powder.
- Fry on low till oil starts to leave from sides. Now add above fried chicken pieces one by one. Using a spoon gently fold the chicken pieces into the masala. Add ½ cup of water and leave it cook for 15-20 minutes.
- When the chicken pieces are cooked, then add almond paste and give the curry nice stir. Cook for another 2-3 minutes and add cream if using along with fresh minced coriander leaves. Stir and turn off the flame.
- Serve with roti or rice or naan or rice.