Moong ki Dal
Prep Time 0 min
Cook Time 25 min
Serves 3 people
About Moong ki Dal
A simple and easy to prepare dal recipe that is reminiscent of home food.
Ingredients to make Moong ki Dal
- 200 grams green grams (moong dal)
- 1 medium sized onion finely chopped
- 1 medium sized tomato finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/8 tsp asafoetida (hing)
- 1/2 inch ginger piece finely smashed
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- Salt to taste
- Handful of coriander leaves finely chopped to garnish
How to make Moong ki Dal
- Wash the dal thoroughly for a couple of times.
- Take a heavy utensil/pan and put in the dal along with 3 cups of water, turmeric, ginger and salt. Bring this to a boil, then let it simmer till its cooked.
- To make the tadka, heat ghee in a pan, add asafoetida and cumin seeds. Once they turn brown in colour, add in the onions.
- Saute the onions till they turn brown in colour, then add the tomatoes and stir fry till the fat separates itself. Add the red chilli powder and stir well.
- Pour this tadka into the dal and let it simmer and cook for a minute or so.
- Garnish with the chopped coriander and serve it hot.