Home / Uncategorized / Dr. Shikha Sharma says that these Foods can Delay Ageing NATURALLY!

Dr. Shikha Sharma says that these Foods can Delay Ageing NATURALLY!

Riya Aggarwal | November 15, 2018

Well-known nutritionist and dietician Dr. Shikha Sharma says that to delay the process of ageing, the skin needs certain vitamins and enzymes. She goes on to say that using cosmetics such as anti-ageing creams delays only 30% of the ageing process. Eating the right things helps to delay the remaining 70% of the process.

Dr. Shikha Sharma says that a combination of cosmetics and nutrition can help to delay the ageing process in women. She also talks about certain foods that can help with this-

1) Green, Leafy Vegetables

Green, leafy vegetables are a very rich source of magnesium. The deficiency of magnesium in the body damages the cell DNA and accelerates mitochondrial decay in the skin cells.  As a result of this, skin cells tend to age prematurely, lose energy and become dysfunctional. Packed with antioxidants, vitamins E and C and carotenoids, these vegetables even help to prevent cancer, cataracts and premature ageing.


2) Tomatoes

Tomatoes are a staple of Indian cooking. All the curries that we make are tomato-based curries. Tomatoes contain lycopene, which helps to protect the skin from skin diseases. Tomatoes also fight free skin radicals, which are the main radicals that cause wrinkles.


3) Walnuts

Often referred to as a ‘brain food’, walnuts are a very good source of omega 3 fatty acids for the body.  Omega 3 fatty acids are fat-soluble nutrients that make the skin glow. Walnuts also help to combat drowsiness and fatigue.


4) Aloe Vera

Aloe Vera contains auxin and gibberellin-two hormones that have wound-healing and anti-inflammatory properties. Both these hormones help to reduce skin inflammation. Gibberellin stimulates the growth of new cells and allows the skin to heal naturally and quickly. The leaves of the aloe vera plant contain antioxidants such as beta-carotenes and vitamins E and C. These antioxidants improve the natural firmness of the skin and even keep the skin hydrated.


5) Jasmine Tea

Jasmine tea is primarily used to hydrate the skin. In fact, this tea is a staple of traditional Chinese cuisine. The essential oils and botanical extracts that are present in the jasmine flower help to increase the elasticity of the skin. They also balance out the moisture that is naturally present in the skin, in order to naturally reduce skin dryness. Apart from this, jasmine tea’s natural anti-bacterial properties also help to boost the immunity of the skin.


6) Blueberries

Blueberries are the richest source of antioxidants among all foods. Also known as a ‘superfruit’ these tiny berries have some natural health advantages. The antioxidants present in blueberries protect the cells of the skin. Antioxidants such as vitamins E and C, phenolic and anthocyanin protect the body from the damaging effect of free radicals. These radicals are very harmful for the body because they can lead to chronic diseases and cause premature ageing of the skin cells.

To delay the ageing process and to preserve the natural firmness, elasticity and glow of your skin, make sure that you incorporate these foods into your diet.

Sources: Art Naturals, BBC Good Food, Dr. Shikha’s Nutri Health, Jon Barron,, MomJunction, Social Eyes, YouTube.

Riya Aggarwal




Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *