A recent study conducted at the University of Sydney found that people who eat at least one serving of orange a day have a reduced chance of facing age-related vision loss. The reason behind this can be the presence of flavonoids in this tropical citrus fruit. Flavonoids are powerful antioxidants that have anti-inflammatory benefits and help to boost immunity.
According to Bamini Gopinath, people who have oranges every day have a 60 percent lesser chance of developing macular degeneration 15 years later, as compared to people who did not eat oranges at all. Even eating oranges once a week has some significant benefits.
Age-related macular degeneration (AMD) causes loss of vision in a part of the retina called the macula, which is located in the center of the eye. This affects central vision and leaves the peripheral vision intact. The study, published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition in June 2018, was a first of its kind study as previous studies had concentrated only on the effects of other common nutrients like vitamins E, C and A on the eyes.
Other Health Benefits of Eating Oranges
- Oranges help to boost the immune system and assist in brain development.
- They can help balance blood sugar levels.
- Oranges lower the risk of developing kidney stones.
- Eating oranges daily can help lower blood pressure.
- They reduce the risk of ischemic stroke in women by 19 percent.
- Orange-based products can help reduce bad breath and improve oral hygiene.
- Oranges can help prevent the formation of free radicals, which are the primary cause of cancer.
- Consuming oranges in the initial two years of your life may reduce the chances of developing childhood cancer.
- It can improve blood circulation making it instrumental in fighting insomnia, stress, and anxiety.
- This citrus fruit truly supports heart health with its abundant fiber, potassium, vitamin C and choline content. It lowers bad cholesterol and also prevents hardening of the arteries.
- Oranges are also known as mild aphrodisiacs. Regular consumption of these fruits can help cure sexual problems like frigidity, erectile dysfunction, impotence, decreased libido and reduced interest in sex.
- The antioxidants present in oranges help to reduce wrinkles, fight skin damage caused by pollution and the sun and improve the overall skin texture. It also helps in forming collagen – the main support system of the skin.
- The choline content in oranges helps improve muscle movement, sleep patterns, learning and memory. It also helps in transporting nerve impulses, sustaining the structure of cellular membranes and reducing chronic inflammation.
So go get some oranges today itself!
Image Source: Freestockphotos