Vitamin D is rich in calcium and phosphorous which is crucial for your child’s growth and for a healthy bone structure. That is the reason why parents need to ensure that their child gets enough Vitamin D in his/her diet.
Here’s how Vitamin D is beneficial for the growth of your child-
1) Improves Immunity
Children are prone to infections and vitamin D contributes to building a healthy immune system in children. Vitamin D generates 200 antimicrobial peptides which help protect kids against harmful infections.
2) Improves Eyesight
Vitamin D helps improve vision in growing children. Parents should ask their children to play outdoors in the sunlight rather than indoors, as this might help their kids get a good dose of Vitamin D. Also, vitamin D helps in reducing dryness in the eyes, inflammation, fatigue, blurred vision and eye discomfort issues in kids.
3) Boost Memory Power
Vitamin D has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that help in boosting brain functions in kids. So if you want your kid to have a sharp brains and be smart in their studies, included vitamin D in his/her diet. One of the main sources of Vitamin D is sunlight.
4) Controls Blood Pressure
5) Bone Health
Vitamin D is extremely important for bone health. With sufficient vitamin D intake from various foods and exposure to sunlight there are very less chances of your child contracting rickets or other bone related issues. As a healthy bone structure is very essential for growing children, let kids to play in the sunlight for a few hours everyday.
Good Sources of Vitamin D
- Mushrooms are rich in vitamin D. A cup of sliced mushrooms can give up to 700 UIs of this essential vitamin.
- Fish oils in salmon are another good source of vitamin D.
- Cereals are another source that gives vitamin D. A cup of cereal in your breakfast can provide 100 UIs of this vitamin.
- Milk has to be fortified to gain the benefits of this vitamin. Milk is also rich in calcium and potassium.
- Egg yolk also contains vitamin D. Add eggs to your daily diet.
- Besides these, this vitamin is also found in sunlight and in supplements.
Image source: pexels, flickr,pixabay,af.mil,pxhere