From enjoying a packet of salted chips to eating salted cucumbers, we are very much fond of eating salt. In a recent survey, it was found that most of the people prefer to eat salty food over sweet dishes. In fact, salty food is picked to satiate hunger pangs.
But what happens when we eat too much salt?
Well, table salt is rich in sodium and chloride i.e. NaCl. These 2 minerals are required by our body in minimal amounts. Excess of these minerals can have negative effects on our body and its functioning. Surplus of salt can increase the rate of blood pressure, cause stomach ulcers and makes you feel uneasy. It makes our body lose calcium as we tend to urinate more and it also dehydrates the cells. Not only this, prolonged eating of salts in excessive amounts can negatively impact our cognition as well.
Thus, we must gear up to remove excess salt as soon as we detect the symptoms of excessive salts in the body. The first noticeable symptom is that we may always feel bloated and uneasy. When this happens with you, then you must strive to get rid of it.
Here are some tips which will help you remove the surplus of salt contents from the body:
- One way to flush salt out from your body is to eat citrus fruits. Yes, citrus fruits such as oranges help to remove excess salt from the body. Citrus fruits help to overcome nausea.
- Eating a banana would be great at this point as it is rich in potassium. It will help you to restore electrolyte and fluid balance in your body.
- Beans are rich in potassium and contain a low amount of sodium. They will help you to maintain potassium-sodium balance in your body.
- Spinach is rich in potassium and it is quite effective in getting rid of the bloating effect of NaCl on the body.
- Dried fruits such as apricots are rich in potassium. Eating a handful of them when you feel bloated will facilitate the removal of salts from the body.
- Fresh fruit juice or detoxifying water will help you flush out toxins from your body and also hydrate your cells.
- Drinking as much water as possible is also a great idea. It will help to regulate all the bodily functions. But do not drink mineral water as it has some amounts of sodium and chloride.
- Exercising is also a good idea as it makes our body perspire. Sweat contains amounts of salt in it. So, it releases excess salt from the body.
These were some amazing tips that you can try the next time you feel bloated.
Photo credits: Pixabay, pexels