- Multiple entries are allowed. Photos are mandatory for each recipe.
- Eggless Chocolate Mini HeartsCook time 50 mins14 Likes
Mini version of cakes
- Delicious Spicy and Flavorful Mangalore Fish Curry(made from Byadgi Chillies and Kokum extract)Cook time 30 mins2 Likes
Mangalore Fish Curry made from Byadgi Chillies and Kokum extract is a delicious flavorful fish curry of Bunt cuisine. The main ingredients are Byadgi chilli and kokum extract, that makes this curry delicious, flavorful and aromatic. I have added a twist in this traditional fish curry by tempering it with bay leaf, green cardamom pods, cloves and cinnamon.The deep red color of the fish curry comes from 'Bunt Chilli powder' also known as the 'Bunt Thal da Podi' or 'Kundapur or Badakai Chilli Powder' which is a roasted blended spice powder of byadgi chilli, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, peppercorns, fenugreek seeds, turmeric and dried garlic.
- Lady in RedCook time 10 mins6 Likes
- Red Chicken CurryCook time 30 mins0 Likes
Red Chicken Curry is a spicy, beautiful and appetizing Chicken Curry
- Plum and Dates ChutneyCook time 30 mins2 Likes
This versatile sauce is a delightful condiment with anything and everything...In an adorned mason jar, it also makes a precious homemade gift for family and friends
- Prasad Boondi : Celebrating Bada Mangal - A mesmerising story with a sweet outcome!Cook time 15 mins6 Likes
My upbringing in the Indian State of Uttar Pradesh made me incline towards the customs and traditions followed there and despite hailing from another community from a completely different part of the country I made this my home and enjoyed all the celebrated occasions and festivals.I will therefore educate my readers to a festival which is celebrated exclusively in Lucknow and will bring out the historical significance as well as introduce you all to a delicacy made exclusively for the occasion which is a mouthwatering treat and made in less than an hour. So let us know about the history of this festival which is called Bada Mangal!"Bada" means big and "Mangal" means Tuesday in the Indian Calendar.So the God worshipped on Tuesdays is Lord Hanuman who is the Indian Monkey God who is said to still reside in person on Earth.He is one of the most powerful Gods who liberates people from their sins and protects them against evil doers,sinners and elements of black magic like ghosts and evil spirits!Bearing the face of a Monkey with a human form the Lord is simple yet cannot tolerate injustice on His worshippers.So this festival is dedicated to Lord Hanuman - the greatest worshipper of Lord Rama ( an Avatar of the great Lord Vishnu) and the prime being to help us gain courage and strength! This festival is unique to Lucknow - the Capital of Uttar Pradesh and has been celebrated for around 400 years in the city.The story behind the festival will put racist and religion fanatics to shame as it is a representation of communal harmony between Hindus and Muslims.Other sects and religions participate univocally thus getting the blessings of Lord Hanuman,blessings of elders and good wishes by youngsters and friends alike.It is celebrated on all Tuesdays of the Hindu Calendar of the month Jyeshtha which is approximately the starting of the middle of May to the middle of June in the Global Calendar. STORY BEHIND THE FESTIVAL The ruler of Lucknow from 1753 - 1775 was Nawab Shuja-ud-Daulah (Nawab was the title given to the ruler) who is notable for making Lucknow a city with many architectural wonders especially the Imambara and Bhul Bhulaiyya where the buildings were made of lentils,mortar and gum and which still stand strong.They have passed the test of time and have been bookmarked by Heritage India as one of the memorable places to visit.The Nawab's second wife Begum Janab-e-Alia (Begum represents and honourable title for the wife in the Islam religion) once had a dream in which she was commanded by a divine entity to build a temple for Lord Hanuman.The entity described a particular place where an idol of the Lord was buried and which she needed to dig out. The Begum obeyed her dream and started excavations on the site and as per her dream she found the idol of the Lord.She started to transport the idol back to Lucknow on an elephant as tuskers were the primary mode of transport for the Nawab.However the elephant stopped at a particular spot and refused to move further so it was planned to build the temple on that particular spot. That particular temple as well as many temples which came up later celebrate this festival and it proves the fact that humanity is above any bifurcation on earth. ACTIVITIES CONDUCTED FOR WORSHIPPERS OF THE LORD Lord Hanuman is worshipped by men and married ladies as He is supposed to be a celibate and looks upon all ladies and mothers and sisters.All His worshippers walk all the way to the temple and the month of May in Uttar Pradesh means scorching heat and temperatures going above 45°C.But miraculously on Tuesday clouds come rolling,and the Sun is hidden.Sometimes a mild dust storm rages thereby lowering temperatures and making it easy for people to walk to the temple. Corporates,shopkeepers and business merchants set up stalls on the roadside and organise a sumptuous feast for the worshippers or "Bhakts" as they are called.In fact everyone who stops by is given a filled plate irrespective of their religious faith and entity.The items include Kadhi - Chawal,Poori - subzi,Boondi laddus or sweet boondi or Prasad Boondi( favourites of the Lord).This is finished off with a glass of chilled juice or sherbet to beat the heat.The people come from all faiths and its very touching to see how humanity flourishes on Earth. Prasad Boondi is one item which is loved by all and very easy to make!
- Marzipan Apple/Apple Shaped MarzipanCook time 0 mins3 Likes
Easy to make Apple shaped marzipan.Quick and easy sweet made on Christmas or any festive occasion.
- Pork In Coco Cola ReductionCook time 35 mins2 Likes
This is a sweet and spicy dish, a recipe developed by me. A delicious and scrumptious dish and a great appetizer.
- KOKUM RASAMCook time 5 mins3 Likes
kokum is mainly and largely used in Dakshin Kannada District.Usually used to prepare juice,chutny,rasam,thokku etc.Kokum renders natural colour to the food. It is packed with numerous health benifits.Kokum is usually available during summer.People cut it into halves (removing its seeds) and dry it in sunlight for few days to store it and for further use.Dry Kokum,kokum syrup are also available at "Mangalore stores".Kokum is rich in dietary fibre and low in calories and contains absolutely no cholesterol and saturated fats.So,it keeps heart healthy.It can also be used as a digestive acid.Kokum is found to exert positive effects on the brain by helping in the neuronal growth process.It also enhances your immune function by acting as a powerful anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory agent.
- Red Velvet Bliss BallsCook time 0 mins6 Likes
Healthy energy balls.
- Badam Karachi HalwaCook time 20 mins5 Likes
- Savoury oats Red velvet cube with Rajkoti dipCook time 30 mins3 Likes
- Chicken PakoraCook time 10 mins2 Likes
- Davte_khas_shahi pearl pulawCook time 30 mins4 Likes
- Beetroot Vada Pav SlidersCook time 30 mins5 Likes
- Chickpea's kofta curry/kale chane ke kofteCook time 45 mins4 Likes
- Andhra Spicy Fried Bhindi....Cook time 20 mins9 Likes
- Home made Spicy Red Schezwan SauceCook time 45 mins4 Likes
- Chocolates and Summer BerriesCook time 90 mins7 Likes
- Dum Arvi , Pictorial RecipeCook time 30 mins2 Likes
- Kaju ApplesCook time 10 mins3 Likes
- Tomato thokku (Tomato Chutney)Cook time 20 mins1 Likes
- Veg CrispyCook time 10 mins2 Likes
- Fish khatta mirchiCook time 15 mins2 Likes
- Nadan mutta roast / Kerala style Egg RoastCook time 10 mins2 Likes
- Tomato PickleCook time 20 mins4 Likes
- Dry fish curry..Cook time 20 mins2 Likes
- Spicy Achari ChickenCook time 25 mins3 Likes
- Pizza cakeCook time 20 mins3 Likes
- KunafaCook time 25 mins4 Likes
Contest terms & conditions
- The recipe should be the participants ORIGINAL work, they can however take inspiration from anyone else’s work.
- The recipe must be accompanied by original photograph/s. If found to be plagiarised, the recipe will be taken off.
- The contest is open to individuals across the world. Do provide us with a valid Indian address to ship the prize.
- BetterButter reserves the right to extend the deadline.
- Winners will receive prizes within 30 days from the date of announcement of the winner, provided the address is shared with us on time.
- The entries submitted by participants may be used by Betterbutter for publicity purposes in future.