Mushroom Masala is a mildly spiced button mushroom curry which is an onion-tomato based gravy with a very simple and easy to follow recipe . I have also used capsicum also which complements the button mushrooms well. Adding some fresh cream makes the gravy creamy and rich.
- Prep Time5Minutes
- Cooking Time20Minutes
How to make Garam Masala
- 200- 250 grams of Button Mushrooms
- 1 large sized Green Bell Pepper
- 1 large sized onion
- 1 large sized tomato
- 2-3 Garlic pods
- 1/2 inch piece Ginger
- 2 green chilies
- 2-3 tbsp fresh Cream
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 2 tsp Red Chilli powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp crushed Kasuri Methi / dried Fenu greek leaves
- Fresh Coriander leaves to garnish
- Salt to taste
- Wash the white button mushrooms under running water and pat it dry on a kitchen towel. Remove a bit of the base stock with a knife, then slice them and keep aside.
- Take the ginger, garlic and green chillies in a grinder jar and make a coarse paste. Similarly roughly chop the tomato and onion and grind to form a fine paste.
- In a pan, heat up oil on a medium heat and add the cumin seeds. Once they splutter add the green chilli, ginger and garlic paste. Saute for a while and add the onion-tomato paste .
- Saute this paste very well till the raw smell disappears. Now add in the turmeric powder, red chilli powder and garam masala powder.
- Mix well and saute until we can see oil releasing from the sides of the pan and then add in the sliced mushrooms and capsicum. Saute for 1 -2 minutes. Pour in a little water and salt, cover and cook until the mushrooms are cooked.
- Now stir in fresh cream and mix well, cook it for another 2-3 minutes. Lastly add the crushed kasuri methi, mix well and turn off the flame.
- Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with chapati or jeera rice.
My Tip: Note to never soak the mushrooms in water as they tend to absorb more water and become soggy and spoil the taste of the dish. A dash of kasuri methi at the end makes the gravy more flavorful.